Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sinhead and Finley

From: woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 90 18:14:29 EST
Subject: Re: Sinhead and Finley

xmjschm@mbcrrb.harvard.EDU (Mike Schmelzer):

> Has anybody heard the version of Sinhead's _Jump_In_The_River_ which
> features, er, "vocals" by Karen Finley?

Yeah, it was a real hit here at WTSC (the frat boy DJs loved to play it
so much that we removed it from the library and hid it in the Music Room!).

> Where did this come from, and did Sinhead really _allow_ Finley to
> rant like that? I wouldn't be surprised if the song was the product
> of a twisted dj's mixology, made without Sinhead's knowledge or permission.

No, it really was created that way. Why, I could not tell you. However,
Sinead has mixed rap into her music before -- in the video of "I Want Your
(Hands On Me)." I forgot who the rapper was, but she was female; maybe
M.C. Lyte? Anyone?

> Thanks in advance!

You're welcome in retrospect

Since me and Jon have been seconded each other's recommendations, I figured
I'd say to go ahead and go for the Negativland. They are a California group
who does sound collages, mixing and general cutting in their quest to show
the world the true nature of pop culture. Quite fun to listen to...

Oh, I also have to agree that Penn's solo effort is blah.

woj