Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Now how's this for a Yule present...?

From: walt.cc.utexas.edu!erlkonig@cs.utexas.edu (Christopher North-Keys)
Date: 26 Dec 89 20:15:47 GMT
Subject: Now how's this for a Yule present...?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: emx.utexas.edu!ut-emx!news@cs.utexas.edu

Now, life hasn't been bad to me, mind.

I had three perfectly nice tapes of KaTe, and even a nice poster of her
in a workout suit.  Better yet, one of the tapes was a actually a recording
of my own TSW CD, gifted me even before I had a player.

Well, "Lo!", I lost all sanity and purchased a 6+1 CD changer --- bliss
immediately followed by a friend losing control as well, plotting.  Said plot
quite unbeknownst to yours truly, of course.

Why, I'd even found a poster of KaTe in the Babooshka (something in that word
sounds familiar) garb, and a nice poster of the oh-so-feminine KaTe in TSW
video.

Me a fan?  Fandom is alien to me, I thought.  I'd seen "fans" before,
screaming at concerts, papering their rooms in tiny (usually bad) posters,
What strings the stars pulled to get such adulation was a mystery to me.

"You know how to work me."

Uh-oh.

Then this friend of mine comes along and gives me this...package...just
about the size of four CD cartons...
  ...(and patience is usually one of my strong points.  What poetic justice.).

I said "Uh-oh" already, right?

Now, this wasn't a total surprise, nay, having just donated enough KT posters
to this friend's worthy cause to make it all too obvious to any guested there
just who was the artist of choice in that abode.

Maybe that one big poster was a little much stress to fairly place on anyone.
How was I to know if it would be so?

Nonetheless:  a package of suspicious dimensions.

Now, the early CD players were rather primitive, granted;  but that description
pales to mist beside the primitive, atavistic pleasure engendered by the
following exchange:

Turn player on.
  Insert 6-disk cartridge.
    whirr.
      "KATE BUSH"
         oh, joy.

  Depress 'play'.
    "KICK INSID"
       whirr...
         "...As long as you're not afraid to feel..."
           Joy.  I don't think feeling's going to be a problem.
    "LIONHEART"
       whirr...no disk.  (I haven't found this one yet)
         a cry escapes.
           I'm going to see that slot occupied in short order, I swear.
    "NEVER4EVER"
       whirr...
         "...He shouted, I'm all yours, Babooshka, Babooshka, Babooshka-ya-ya"
           joy, joy.  This could be problem, you know.
    "DREAMING"
       whirr...
         "...It says `Look I'm over here' then it up and disappear..."
           Joy, joy, joy.  Maybe the glazed look in my eyes'll disappear, too.
    "HOL + TNW"
       whirr...
         "It doesn't hurt me..."
           Oh, no.  No indeed.  What problem?
    "SENSUAL W."
       whirr...
         "Mmmm, yess!"
           boing!
           .
           .
           .
           what do you mean, done?
             what's this do?
               'repeat'.
                 funny arrow appears on display.
                   oh...
    whirr...

    BOING-BOING-BOING-BOING-BOING-BOING-BOING-BOING-BOING-BOING-BOING-BOING!

    (okay, so maybe I'm having a good time, lay off already...)

"Get the bow going;  let it scream to me:  Violin!  Violin!  Violin!"

    Ohhh, sweet music.

Seo:  Harp[@Mcc.Com]               /  \/\ ^*^           Christopher North-Keys
Tha mi gu trang a'cluich.         /    \ \         Assoc. Systems Analyst, MCC