Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love And Anger

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 89 17:27:42 -0500
Subject: Re: Love And Anger
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8912270931.AA03247@world.std.com> chris@world.std.COM (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City) writes:
>This should stir'em up some. Here is our interpretation of the Video for
>"Love And Anger". Just the video.

Interesting article.  I laughed until I stopped.

>BLURRY SHOT
>    {Not much meaning here. Just a blurry shot of the skirts of the Sufis.}

Oh please.  EVERYTHING has meaning to the trained mind.  It has to do with
Kate's ambiguous interpretation of her creation.  How many bloody interviews
has she said "I don't know what this song really means" in it.  How else do
you start the video but with a blurry shot?  Oh, well, I suppose it could
just mean that Kate is full of cliched ideas about how to start videos,
since she also started Experiment IV with a blurry fade in to focus...

>She is:
>SHOWERED WITH GOLD
>    {As she will be, metaphoricaly, if she succeeds in America, the last
>holdout in the "civilized" world. We feel this video is the direct result of
>a conversation with CBS record executives.}

As she will be, literally, by all the people who think that she's turned
into a lame, middle-aged old fool.  Whoa, that was a bitter comment...
I think you were right actually, since this album has done very well in
the civilized parts of America, at least comparatively.

>And she:
>STANDS THERE
>   {As everyone knows, in American rock videos, she singer just stands there
>while dancers rush around, trying desperatly to create the illusion that the
>singer is dancing, as in videos by Kim Karnes, Rod Stewart, Elton John and
>others. God forbid that the singer actually try to dance, as in Sting's "We'll
>Be Together". Kate, as we all know, can dance very well, but she tried that
>with "Running Up That Hill" and that video was bumped in favor of a TV show
>in which she was safely behind a podium.}

Of course, you load your interpretation with facts that fit your own
parochial outlook.  There are some damn good dancers in the video
market today.  Of course, they are all uniformly terrible
singers/songwriters/producers.  Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul and Madonna
all spring (repulsively) to mind.

>Then Sufi Dancers or:
>WHIRLING DEVERISHS
>     {Don't you just love them. I do.} [ditto]

I really do.  What do they represent, in the Sufi tradition?  I'm
geniunely curious.

>The ballet dancers come back and:
>TAKE THE CROWN JEWELS
>     {Or her Britishness, as CBS may be trying to do.}

They're succeeding really well.

>Causing Kate to:
>VIBRATE VIOLENTLY
>     [Free & easy, loose, "Americanized"]

Maybe that's because that's when the song takes off into the realm of
"Americanized" rock 'n' roll.

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu |      "Suck on this,                     |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |       planet of noise bimbo!"           |