Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

David Sylvian

From: Greg (G.T.) Ward <GREGW%BNR.CA@mitvma.mit.edu>
Date: 23 Dec 89 20:19:00 EST
Subject: David Sylvian
Sender: Greg (G.T.) Ward <GREGW%BNR.CA@mitvma.mit.edu>

In article <275@bhpese.bhpese.oz> michaelf@bhpese.bhpese.OZ.AU (Michael Freund)
writes:
>Since David has remained very quiet this year, I would greatly appreciate any
>enlightening information you could send regarding his recent musical/artistic
>activities/releases.  I even heard a rumour that Japan were reforming!  Do you
>know if this is true?

Another David Sylvian fan here. I think he's the male equivalent of Kate Bush!
There was an interview with him in the September 16 Melody Maker. He said
that "The past two years have been very difficult, a period of transition."
The article mentions the upcoming single "Pop Song" and also "Weatherbox",
a CD collection of his albums. I had assumed this would be a single CD with
a selection of songs from each album, but there is nothing in the article to
contradict the rumours that it will be a 5 CD set. In the article they also
talk about a second collaboration with Holgar Czukay called "Flux and
Mutability". I have seen this in the stores already. I have also heard the
rumours about Japan reforming, from more than one source, which leads me
to believe quite strongly in them. This has the potential to be an amazing
album, considering what the members have done since Japan broke up 7 years ago.
I really like the Dolphin Brothers' "Catch the Fall", but in a different way
than I like Sylvian's work.

>1985 - Words With The Shaman   (Mini CD)

This is available on CD? W O W! Is it the complete version than was released
on cassette, or just the abbreviated version released as an EP? I'll have to
look for it.

>1985?- Alchemy: An Index of Possibilities?   (Cassette)

What is this? Is it the cassette version of "Words With the Shaman"?

>1987 - Trophies: The Lyrics of David Sylvian   (Book)

I've heard of this, but never seen it. I'd definitely like to own it. Is it
easy to obtain?

By the way, IED has revealed on a number of occasions that he is an admirer
of David Sylvian's work. I believe that Kate Bush aside, Sylvian is one of
his favourite artists. Of course if I'm imagining this, IED will be quick to
dispute it. I wonder if he has any information about David Sylvian's current
activities/releases?

    Greg Ward