Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kruel irony: ied shoT down by own pop idol

From: stewarte@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (The Man Who Invented Himself)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 89 19:20:42 -0800
Subject: Re: Kruel irony: ied shoT down by own pop idol
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

IED0DXM@OAC.UCLA.EDU will no doubt deny ever having said:

>   As though she had been listening in on the recent argument
>in Love-Hounds, Kate Bush said in the new VH-1 interview: "_Nature_
>is perfect. Anything we human beings do can never really be perfect."
>   Hmm...IED will need a little time to find a way out of this mess...

Clearly, Kate must be operating under a different definition of
perfection than that recently proposed here by Julian.  While that
definition was interesting, I found it quite different from what I
think of as perfection.  With the "local maximum" rule, assuming that
what is being maximized is some absolute, quantifiable measure called
"quality", a work can be perfect but still be of very low quality.  This
I found quite unsatisfying, conceptually speaking.   Perhaps Kate thinks
of perfection as representing a global, rather than a local, maximum.

Julian's definition does have the advantage of being better for
stimulating discussion -- since it effectively disallows the suggestion
"throw it away and start over" as a means to improve a song (or whatever).
--
"Don't forget this shit."
			 -- James Blood Ulmer