Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jane Siberry London Interview (or not)

From: chpmjd@gdr.bath.ac.uk (Really Kevin House ee8kh@gdt.bath.ac.uk)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 16:45:00 GMT
Subject: Jane Siberry London Interview (or not)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

OK so heres the really bad news:

It didn't happen. Believe me I'm more pissed off than you are . Before
you all start flaming me for making the whole thing up, just let me
explain what happened. (Then feel free to flame as much as you like,
it's always nice to get a letter :-).

Basically everything went wrong; I tried to get hold of a tape-deck
from our University radio station, to be greeted with such helpful
replies as 'well, you're not a member' and 'we've only got one' etc
etc Not ready to give in, I begged a 3rd year mathematician who I
barely know to lend me his #150 Sony Recording Walkman, and to my
astonishment he agreed to lend me it in exchange for my ordinary
walkman. BUT he didn't have it with him and had to go home to get it.
By this time it was already the middle of Friday afternoon, and I had
to be in London, 130 miles away by 8 o'clock at the latest. So I sat
and waited for him to return, and when he did rushed off home to get
tapes, batteries etc and then down to the station. By The Way, thanks
to everyone who did send me something, unfortunately it was almost ALL
too late, arriving on Saturday/Sunday (Bloody mail system).

By the time I got to London it was already gone 8 and so I had to rush
to find the theatre (Never trust a Keith Prowse map !!!!). I finally
got there and entered the theatre about 5 mins before the performance
started.  The performance was , in short , BRILLIANT , I'm afraid a
review is still beyond me , this time because I was too overwhelmed .

After the show I managed to get hold of Bob (her manager) and remind
him what he'd said about the interview.  "No time tonight, loads of
record company people to entertain, but if you want to come back
tomorrow to see the show I'll leave tickets on the door" So I got to
see the last night for free, making a total of three out of the five
British dates, and again I was extremely impressed. As soon as I can
afford it I'm off to buy the first four albums.

I did get a small chance to talk to Jane again, (while getting my
cd-booklet signed by her and the band). I asked her if she remembered
me from Bath, and remembered about the promised interview. Of course
my ego jumped miles when she said she did, even if she was probably
lying. I also asked her about the possibility of a live album (If
you've heard the songs from BBtB live you'll appreciate how much
stronger they are on a stage. She said that it was something "we" were
considering for the future, but there are no immediate plans :-( .

She also said that none of her live concerts are recorded normally,
particularly dissapointing since my recordings of both Friday and
Saturday's shows both failed to come out at all :-( (I know it's
unethical, so don't bother flaming.  I just happened to have a Walkman
in my pocket for an interview or something and couldn't resist the
temptation. Anyway, it didn't work ... Divine justice ?)

A couple other points that might be of interest to some of you:-

I spent a long time talking to Tony (something) from CBC. He's their
London correspondant and does a show every Friday. He said he'd be
doing a bit on Jane the next Friday, did anybody catch it ? He seems
like a really nice bloke.

Also if anybody knows the live version of Miss Punta Blanca they'll
remember an extremely out of place guitar solo. Apparently this was
originally recorded in the studio sessions but was mixed out of the
album. It began as a bit of a joke by the guitarist and has ended up
with a 1.5 min make-it-up-as-you-go-along heavy rock solo which is
really funny live.  Nobody could help but laugh when Jane tried to cut
back to the chorus of Miss Punta Blanca and couldn't get him to stop .

Sorry this posting has taken so long to make, but I've been really
busy and I've tended to want to postpone the bad news. And I have had
trouble finding anybody willing and able to post it to news . On the
bright side, maybe next year, according to her manager (well, you
never know).

If you've any questions about the concerts, please feel free to ask
me, but don't expect me to necessarily be able to answer. The odds are
I won't know the answer, and even if I do, I probably won't be able to
mail a reply (unless of course you give me a US-mail address)

Also could somebody please forward this to the Jane Siberry mailing
list.

Kevin House
                            _____                          ee8kh@gdt.bath.ac.uk
                          /  /  / /  / /  ) / /  / /       ee8kh@uk.ac.bath.gdt
		"Heaven knows I'm miserable now" - Act (after Morrissey).