Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KT on YTV

From: "Martin R. Lamb" <martinn@csri.toronto.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 89 12:55:04 EST
Subject: KT on YTV

On Friday I was at a friend's place, watching _Dr. Who_ on the Canadian
Youth TV channel.  Right after that show was "YTV Rocks".  I didn't pay
attention until I heard the hosts say "Kate Bush", and I wouldn't let
my friend touch the TV dial (err, remote) after that.  They showed the
video of "TSW", and then announced a "Kate Bush Collector's Constest".
Third prize is a portable CD/cassette combo player, second prize is a set
of all the KT CDs plus a TSW cassette single with "Kate's biography" in
a special box.  First prize is an autographed and sealed TSW poster.

[ non-Canadian LoveHounds please ignore the following paragraph ]
Write to
Kate Bush Collector's Contest
YTV Rocks
PO BOX 1060
Station B
Toronto, ON
M5T 2T8
Contest closing date is December 15.

OK, you can look now (as if you DID avert your eyes ;-)
Close to the end of the program, my friend was talking to me when I
suddenly heard "blah blah Kate Bush interview".  Not being sure when it is
going to be shown, I set my VCR on Monday just in case, and when I got home,
lo and behold there is the Goddess speaking, albeit for all of 5 minutes.
It's disappointingly short, but at least it's SOMETHING!

I have transcribed the "interview" below.  The interviewer is neither
seen nor heard - only Kate's responses are shown.  In between the responses,
snippets from videos as well as comments from the host in the studio
are heard.  I have not included the trite comments, which are along the
lines of "she's working with a Bulgarian vocal choir" [!] and "her dance
videos are unlike those of Janet Jackson or Paula Abdul." [All together now,
ROLL YOUR EYES.]

Kate is seen sitting in front of the control panel of a recording studio.
She is wearing a black jacket, and she looks to her right when talking,
presumably where the interviewer is.

-----------------------------------

[_Rocket's Tail_ is played against images of fireworks]

I first heard the Trio Bulgarka when I'd finished the last album, and
I was devastated.  I think everyone that hears it for the first time is;
it's *INCREDIBLY* powerful music.  I listened to it for a long time,
and started thinking how nice it'd be if I could somehome work with them.

I worked with Irish musicians before, and Irish music I think is in my
blood.  My mother's Irish and my brother was always playing it when I
was a kid.  I feel a real affinity for Irish music, and really knew
nothing about Bulgarian music until a few years ago.  But when you hear it,
and you relate it to something like Irish music, there are a lot of
similarities.

[clips from _TSW_ and _RutH_ are played ]

I've never thought of myself as a dancer, and I suppose I've never really
thought of myself as a singer either; it's just things that come together
with writing songs.  I got an incredible amount out of it,
but I would never think of myself as a dancer, because I always have to stop;
I just can't ever hold it together.  I suppose I'm too obsessive about
making albums. I could hold it together once I'm out of the studio.
I just don't have the discipline I guess. [ shrugs and smiles ]

[ a scene from _Cloudbusting_ ]

My favorite videos are when the song has a story; when it is actually like
a story that you could then turn into a little piece of film.  Say, like
Cloudbusting, that's a lot of fun to make.  It was a story and it's
a matter of telling the story visually.

I'd *LOVE* to make a film, even if it's just a short film.  It's like going
back to that story-telling process again, where I'd be able to deal [?] with
pictures as well as sound.  Putting the two together is such a powerful
thing.

END OF INTERVIEW

I have thanked them for doing this by mail, but I doubt if any more
of the interview will be shown.  They seem to like KT but judging from
the comments they make they aren't too well versed in matters Bushological.
--
Tippi Chai                         "To where the water and the earth caress..."
GUEST ON : {decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsri!martinn  ||  martinn@csri.toronto.edu