Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Mailbag

From: The Interesting Woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 89 18:03:12 EST
Subject: Re: Mailbag

IED0DXM@OAC.UCLA.EDU:
>      Woj's "analysis" of the new record is too inept to merit
> reply. IED used to argue tirelessly with people foolish enough to
> embarrass themselves by criticizing Kate's work. Alas, he has not
> the stamina to do so any longer. He just wishes (naturally, without
> any real expectations) that Woj and Drukman and the other supercilious
> nay-sayers who plague this group would go do it someplace else. There
> are other music discussion groups where people as encloaked in ignorance
> as yourselves dither happily without cease. Can you find it in your
> heart to let go of your feelings _there_, rather than here?

I am sorry that you feel that way Andy...I had hoped that the Love-Hounds
would be receptive to critical discussion, but apparantly they are not, if,
in fact, you are indicitive of how the majority of the others feel. Perhaps
I will take my "supercilious nay-saying" elsewhere, for it does not seem to be
listened to here.

I think that a close look is neccessary to gauge the inherent "goodness"
of an album, otherwise the "Top 40" syndrome raises its ugly head and an
album is judged purely upon past efforts or what the record companies think
the public should think -- even with Kate's work.

If it's any consolation to you Andy, I think _The_Sensual_World_ is a won-
derful album -- it knocks the socks off of anything currently on the charts
and even stands up well to here earlier work (the difference between TSW and
her previous albums though should preclude all of us from saying one or the
other is better). However, that is not to say that Kate is flawless, and we
should all realize that.

Have any of you ever heard of groupthink? If so, take heed...

woj --- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu