Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate videos (was Mailbag)

From: portuesi%tweezers.esd@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 89 10:54:26 PST
Subject: Kate videos (was Mailbag)

 >Someone off-line suggested I get the Whole Story video to see the
 >Babooshka video.  Well, I have been looking for Kate videos for
 >some time now, with little success.  If anyone knows how to get
 >either this one or Kate Live at the Hammersmith Odeon, mailorder,
 >I would be grateful.
 >
 >-- Eric France                      (franceee@clutx.clarkson.edu)

ied>      IED no longer knows whether these videos are still in release in
ied> the U.S. They were, however, available in Tower Video stores, and
ied> any domestic retail video outlet could once have ordered them for you
ied> even if they didn't normally stock them.
ied>      The three videos shown in the liner-notes of _TWS_ (even the U.S.
ied> editions) ) refer to UK releases only. _Hair_of_the_Hound_ was never released
ied> in the U.S. Only _Hammersmith-Odeon_ and _The_Whole_Story_ were ever
ied> released here. _The_Single_File_ was also never released in the U.S.
ied> However, all four of the KT video collections are available still
ied> (IED believes) in Japan, and a good video retailer--especially
ied> a laser-disk retailer--in your area might be able to order them
ied> for you through a Japanese distributor. Count on paying $100 or more
ied> per Japanese video, however.

In the latest japanese import laser disc catalog, the following titles
are listed:

	title			length/format	price (yen)

	Hair of the Hound	20 min/CAV	Y4,666
	The Whole Story		55 min/CLV	Y9,734
	Hammersmith Odeon	52 min/CLV	Y4,666
	The Single File		47 min/CLV	Y4,666

Everything on "Hair of the Hound" is contained on "The Whole Story",
but because HotH is in CAV format, you can do nifty things like
freeze-frame and slo-mo.  Theoretically (IED, can you confirm this?)

The Single File contains a few videos not included with "The Whole
Story", including "Them Heavy People", "Suspended in Gaffa", and a few
others whose names escape me.

Theoretically (IED, can you confirm this?):

	The Single File + Hair of the Hound =

		all Kate videos except Experiment IV, The Sensual
	        World, Love and Anger, and This Woman's Work

I placed a special order from a laser disc shop in San Francisco for
the Hammersmith Odeon laserdisc.  I was billed $46.67.  It is supposed
to arrive Friday. It appears that the two places I've asked at will
order import japanese laserdiscs for 100 yen to the dollar, so divide
the above amounts by 100 for an approximation of how much to expect to
pay in U.S. currency.

I have actually held the "Whole Story" laserdisc in my hands at the
store, and had the chance to buy it, but $100 is too much money, even
for Kate.  I decided on the Hammersmith Odeon laserdisc because I want
to own a legal copy of the soundtrack (which contains some live
performances I like better than the studio versions), and I already
have "The Whole Story" on VHS.

Tower Records carries "The Whole Story" on VHS, but I have never seen
"Hammersmith Odeon" on VHS for sale.  I have seen it available for
rental, though.

				--M