Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Laugh etc.

From: nbc%INF.RL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 89 18:18:24 GMT
Subject: Laugh etc.

>From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
>Subject: KT NEWS
>     Kate Bush will appear on UK's _The_Wogan_Show_ _this_week_,
>probably to perform _This_Woman's_Work_. All UK Love-Hounds are
>_commanded_ to watch and (if possible) record!

You betcha! This is extremely valuable info. Many thanks to IED
as I would not normally bother to watch Wogan and the Radio Times
and newspapers rarely tell you who will be on the show. All I know
is that Nancy Raygun is on tonight's show. Guess I will have to watch
in case Kate is on as well - how one suffers for art :-)

>From: jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Jon Drukman)
>Subject: Re: The Laugh

>>In fact, it's obvious to anyone who isn't Dan Quayle that it belongs at the
>>end of "Love and Anger".
>I am not Dan Quayle (at least I wasn't last time I checked - let me
>have a quick peek... nope, definitely do not have tapioca between my
>ears so I can't be him...) and I don't agree with you.  The laugh is
>the perfect introduction to "The Fog." A giggle at a half-remembered
>childhood foible, like being scared of the water.  A piquant chuckle
>of bemusement over the naivete of youth.  Of course, we're not like
>that anymore, but cast your mind back... (cue Fairlight whistles).
>See what I mean?  Perfection.

No. I would not classify the laugh as either a giggle or a chuckle by
a child/adolescent but rather an extremely vibrant and confident
(in fact almost over-confident and verging into hysterical)
full-blown laugh of an adult.

>Besides, if you're so clever, how come the laugh ain't in the video or
>on the CD or cassette single?

Because they were made for the US market and who knows who
got their grubby little hands on them somewhere in the production.

>From: Woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
>Subject: Re: The Laugh
>The connection I see is due to the nervous feel of the laugh. (yes I
>know that is very subjective and you might not think it such).

You are certainly correct  - it is *very* subjective and as you can see
from above I take the opposite view. Guess this is what helps to make
Kate's work so interesting: even the smallest details are cause for
debate.

Well, off to see what old Tel comes up with.
Neil