Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

From the Nov. 1989 _Vinyl Propoganda_

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 89 16:45:32 PST
Subject: From the Nov. 1989 _Vinyl Propoganda_

_Vinyl Propaganda_ is the monthly publication of the Western
Association of Rock Disk Jockeys, and it is published in San
Francisco.

The November 1989 issue has a review of the single ("The Sensual
World"), and later an independent review of the album.  Here's the
review of the single:

Kate Bush "The Sensual World" - EMI (U.K.)

     I promise you this:  there is nothing to dance to, no hard edge
stuff for college radio, and easy listening sttions will be bored to
death but mark my words, this record will be bought by many.  (Pretty
bold, huh?)  Kate never ceases to surprise us and neither does her
husband/photographer [sic, sic, sic, sic, sic!] who continually manages
to find another aspect of her beauty and capture it for the world to see.
That alone would be enough to own the import 12" but wait, the song
inside, so sweet and spooky, so much emotion, I can listen to it
endlessly, but -- I have a column to write so, let's get on with it.
			       -- Ted Cousens

I think I'll send a postcard to this guy informing him of his error.

Anyway, here's the review of the album:

Kate Bush  THE SENSUAL WORLD
Columbia

     She fairly cackles in your ear, then confides, "You see, I'm all
grown up now."  Not only has Kate Bush grown up, she has spent three
years in her studio distilling rocket fuel.  Her seventh album, THE
SENSUAL WORLD, is going to grab you by the hair and drag you away.
Kate has brought together some of the best talent in the business:  David
Gilmore [sic], Eberhard Weber, Davy Spillane, Alan Stivell, and Nigel
Kennedy, as well as the remarkable Trio Bulgarka (the tree lead vocals
on the phenomenal MYSTERE VOIX DE BULGARES [sic] albums).  THE SENSUAL
WORLD is far and away the best album Kate has produced, and with a
string of double and triple platinum albums to her credit, [in the UK,
that is] that is saying a lot.  You may have heard the unusual first
single, "The Sensual World."  Kate's warm and embracing echo of Molly
Bloom's primal "Yes, I said yes. . ." gives little warning of what you
are in for.  With the second song, "Love And Anger," Kate has created
a paen to the mystery of the human condition that will pick you up and
carry you away.  The songs follow with unremitting power and unity, the
most rock of any album Kate has done (Dave G. has brought his magic with
him) that builds through the layers of emotion.  Kate has become a
consummate artist at unifying her music with her intended effect --
working gradually to a point where she introduces the Trio Bulgarka,
first in the background then sifting the music in beautiful and strange
harmony.  The hight point of the album comes near the end the the
triumphant outcry of "Rocket's Tail", simply one of the most moving,
wild rides any rock musician has ever produced.  It made hair stand up
on the back of my neck, and is such a stunning mesh of voices, banshee
guitar, unnamable and indistinguishable sounds that I couldn't even tell
you what the lyrics are.  Fortunately, Kate has placed lower key songs
at the end of the album to wind you down for a return to earth, like
"This Woman's Work", the typical Bush piano ballad which was featured
in the John Hughes film "She's Having A Baby."  Other songs of note
include "Heads We're Dancing," and the ballad of the lonely computer
addict "Deeper Understanding," which also features the Trio Bulgarka.
As usual, Kate's lyrics are richly poetic and personal.  THE SENSUAL
WORLD is spacious, full of light, but burdened with darkness, exhibiting
a dimension and power that show Kate's synthesis of all her past work
and her interest in classical and ethnic music and the influences of
the great rock musicians.  You are going to need three copies of THE
SENSUAL WORLD:  one to give to your best friend, one to listen to, and
one to replace it with when your first wears out.
			      -- Karen L. Newcombe

In other news, the album has fallen somewhat at Tower Berkeley, but it's
still #1 at Leopold's right next door.

Reckless Records (Haight @ Masonic in S.F.) has the subway poster for
"The Sensual World" single -- the one with the writing.  I got mine there
today.

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        | "Singer/songwriter Kate Bush:  The one singer
Dept. of Applied Science   |  on two continents who most deserves a wider
UC Davis/Livermore         |      audience"    -- _Saturday Review_
ed@das.llnl.gov            | (in special "Underrated/Overrated" issue)