Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Bootleg advice needed...

From: Randall Knowles Smith <rs5o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 89 14:36:40 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Bootleg advice needed...

I've only bought one bootleg; it was the one with Kate in Japanese-like armour
on the front, and a willowy white dress on the back; a two-record set.  The
cost was something like $30.

Now, the bad part:  It was unlistenable.  I was all excited (the album had, I
believe, one or two songs I hadn't heard) about it, but the sound quality was
MISERABLE.  My friend and I listened to it for about 30 minutes, and then,
after one song (I forget which) was over, he put in the official CD version of
the same song.  The difference was amazing.

So, my conclusions:  Bootleg albums aren't worth it; if you're a completist
Kate fan, there are so many of them that you'll never get them all, (I bet IED
doesn't have EVERY one, though perhaps he has many), and if you're not, then
why bother?

The exception to this, of course, is ObsKuriTies II, which can be found quite
cheaply and is one of the few bootlegs with mostly never-before-heard songs.
But this is the exception that proves the rule.

Randy Smith
rs5o+@andrew.cmu.edu