Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Bootleg advice needed...

From: claris!wombat@decwrl.dec.com (Scott Lindsey)
Date: 19 Nov 89 04:40:57 GMT
Subject: Re: Bootleg advice needed...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: claris!wombat@decwrl.dec.com

In article <ANDBJ.89Nov17085058@majestix.IDA.LiU.SE> abj@IDA.LiU.SE (Andreas Bjorklind) writes:

> I have a decision problem: in my local used records shop I can buy
> a KaTe-bootleg. This is not the problem... that I'm a complete novice
> to bootlegs is, though!
>   The bootleg  is Rock Solid Records (?) double LP "Kate Bush
> Live in Bristol 1979" (with a beautiful figure-cut sleeve). The record-
> man wants $31.00 for it.
>   My question: is this a fair price for this bootleg?

I will not go into the ethics and legality of bootlegs.  That has been debated
far and wide... even onto this list/newsgroup.  All things considered, yes
it's a fair price.  Here's what you should consider.  Bootlegs typically run
about $10-15 per disc, "new."  If what you're looking at is used, it may be
condsiderably less than a bargain.  Bootlegs are typically pressed on 3rd
rate vinyl, so they tend to wear quickly... add that to the generally abysmal
signal quality and you end up with something unlistenable, regardless of your
dediKaTion.  One other factor here is one unknown to me.  I don't know how
available this particular record is.  After a pressing of bootlegs is sold,
if there is demand, the price for them can inflate.  Typically, (if the
bootlegger is still around) subsequent pressings will be made, usually from
the same presses, which ensures further degredation of quality.

Whether the price is "fair" is up to you or the eventual buyer.  It *is*,
however, *about* what other collectors have paid for it, and is the price of
a commodity that's rather difficult to shop around for.

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.