Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Bush + Voix Bulgaires

From: stewarte@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (The Man Who Invented Himself)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 12:20:31 -0800
Subject: Re: Kate Bush + Voix Bulgaires
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hairy frogs from Neptune forced mpf0642@NJITX.NJIT.EDU to type:

>     Maybe you are the one who is not aware that the fabulous popular
>songs of Bulgaria would be still forgotten if Ivo (4AD's owner), a
>acclaimed producer, musician, etc, had not released some years ago
>a work entitled "Les Mysteres des Voix Bulgaires" on his own independent
>catalogue. Ivo is british, which makes him western. I guess...

Actually, if you're giving out points for originality, Ivo really doesn't
deserve them for this.  Marcel Cellier, who recorded the "Mystere" material
(and originally released it on Disques Cellier) does.  Ivo doesn't deserve
any more credit for releasing it on his oh-so-hip label that the execs at
Nonesuch deserve for putting out the American release -- which is to say,
they both deserve a certain amount of credit for making the stuff available
at all, but not the lion's share.

>     So, where's the originality ? I even don't think that originality is
>an issue, but the way she took away the brightness of these singers and their
>songs is.

Where's the originality?  Which of the "countless" records of Bulgarian
vocal music that you mention (I think I could count them without too
much trouble, by the way) set their unusual harmonies into a "rock"
environment?  None that I've heard.

>I could start telling you about marketing, but maybe some other time.

Oh, please enlighten us!  I know naught of this mysterious entity called
"marketing".  Share your arcane knowledge with us, mere mortals though
we be...

-- Stewart
--
"Personally, I think that weapons are dangerous..."
				-- Arthur Evans