Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The laugh

From: greg@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear)
Date: 15 Nov 89 15:08:59 GMT
Subject: The laugh
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

In article <20699@mimsy.umd.edu> dbk@MIMSY.UMD.EDU (Dan Kozak) writes:
>It always seemed "obvious" to me that the laugh was a reaction to the
>"Yeah!."  It just sounds like she was ad libbing along and inserted
>the "yeah" w/o thinking and then laughed at the siliness of it.  The
>long pause is easily attributed (by anyone whoses spent much time in
>the studio) to the "keep-quiet-at-the-end-of-the-take-so-the-editing-
>will-be-easier" ethos.

Well, it seemed obvious to me that the laugh was a separate event, unrelated
to any song on the album, that occurred spontaneously.  The song "Get It"
on Paul McCartney's "Tug Of War" features Carl Perkins, and at the end of the
song, he gives a nice long laugh, apparently enjoying the duet with Paul.
The story goes, though, that it was spliced onto the end of the song, and was
in fact Carl's response to a particularly dirty joke Paul told him.

Perhaps something similar happened with Kate.  Maybe, for whatever reason,
she laughed, it was recorded, and she decided to put it on the album for the
hell of it.  Maybe (gasp) she was just having fun!
--

Greg O'Rear
Industrial and Systems Engineering Department, University of Florida