Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Not This Time

From: PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 89 00:09 EST
Subject: Not This Time

                       Stony Brook, NY 11794-3725

                                            Peter  Manchester
                                            Religious Studies
                                            632-7312
                                            15-Nov-1989 00:00am EST
FROM:  PMANCHESTER

SUBJECT: "Not This Time"

	Larry DeLuca (gatech.edu!mit-eddie!eddie.MIT.EDU!henrik@cs.utexas.edu)
transcribes published lyrics for "Not This Time" from _Kate Bush Complete_,
published by International Music Publications.  He has amazing confidence in
that version, despite calling attention to a not insignificant uncertainty in
that very source:
>(Note that there is a discrepancy in the first line - in the "Lyrics"
>section it reads "sensitive", while the "Music" section, which includes
>the melody line, shows it as "insensitive".  I have chosen the "Music"
>version because A) the melody line fits properly, and B) otherwise
>they are identical.).

	The text of the lyrics has got to be what Kate actually sings, and for
that we are left with our ears.  If written lyrics help us out, great.  But in
this case they plainly fail, sometimes trivially, a few times importantly.

	The published lyrics (comments from the ears):

>Oh with a mind that renders everything insensitive
(Oh with a mind that renders everything SENSITIVE; if there is an "in-" here it
is swallowed)
>What chance do I have here -
(The word "be" is heard between "have" and "here"; I suggest "What chance do I
have TO BE here")
>Put an end Put an end
>Put an end to every dream
>When you're near - I fear you
(Here Kate plainly sings "feel"; she may have "fear" in mind--'r' and 'l' are a
famous case in linguistics--but here she sings "feel")
>And I forget myself
>
>But not this time baby
(No "but")
>Not this time
>Not this time baby
>Not this time
(This is a choral echo; I would not include it in the lyrics proper)

>I don't know why I give in but I do every time
(OK:  This is right, and solves one of my most maddening problems)
>And here I am wondering why I did it again
(And here I am A'wondering why I"M DOING it again)
>Toor-ee-ah Toor-ee-oh
>Toor-ee-ah Toor-ee-oh
(Maybe:  we all go into the dark when Kate starts pure pre-verbal vocalizing)
>That's what I say
(But this is completely bogus:  she sings "to the O that's bursting," or you
tell me what else:  it is certainly not this!)
>It keeps me going and it keeps the ship away
(TO keep me going and TO keep the SHIT away; you tell me why there is a 'ship'
in this song and I'll tell you what's "silly".  This word ends in 't', folks.)
>I don't know what it is
>But every time you're near
>I fear you
(This time it may well be "fear")
>And I forget myself

>No not this time baby
>Not this time you won't
(OK, could be--"you won't" is swallowed and all you hear is an O and T sound)
>Not this time darling
(This is two lines, and the "darling" comes after the second, the repeat)
>C'mon we all sing
>Toor-ee-ah Toor-ee-oh
(etc.)

	That concern about these matters is for "die-hard fans":  agreed!

A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O
   pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu     >
       pmanchester@sbccma.bitnet    <     "C'MON, WE ALL SING"
                Peter Manchester     >      --Not This Time