Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

More Jane Answers and Questions

From: Marq Laube <marq@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 89 10:31:35 PST
Subject: More Jane Answers and Questions

Here's my list of Jane albums with descriptions:

_Jane Siberry_  Her debut album.  The lyrics sparkle with originality,
                even when the subject could have been attacked predictably.
                For example, she has a song about a shallow girl who wants
                to convince her lover that he's not buying her love with
                frivolous things.  (But she's *dying* for dresses...).
                I just got this album, so I'm not that familiar with it.
                The hilight seems to be her first "circular lyric" (a lyric
                that she repeats over and over, layered with bizaree
                harmonies, until your head spins.  On later albums she uses
                this device expertly) at the end of the Wolf song:  "Send
                some good things down on this earth tonight."

_No Borders Here_  This album, like Kate's _Never Forever_, is Jane's just-
                   about-to-break-through-and-be-pop-goddess album, and
                   therefore, while brilliant, is spotty and uneven.
                   However, Map of the World part I is on this album, and
                   may be the most Sensual treat I've ever heard.  Question:
                   do the sounds in this song sound natural, like wings
                   flapping and crickets chirping, or do they sound mechanical,
                   like machinery grinding?

_The Speckless Sky_  Wow.  There isn't much like this album anywhere.  It is
                     so completely energetic -- so completely original, it's
                     hard to describe.  The highlight is probably Vladimir,
                     Vladimir, a song (about what I could not tell you) that
                     is the most musically moving song I've ever heard.  She
                     is purposefully manipulating your every second in this
                     song, and she knows how to do it!  Any theories about this
                     song's lyrics are greatly appreciated...

_The Walking_  In my opinion, the best album ever made.  It's has the
               unmatchable original Sibbery-style of _The Speckless Sky_,
               but on this album, instead of energetic, she is contemplative,
               angry, and very alone.  This album does not have one highlight.

_bound by the beaty_  Boy, was I disappointed!  I was at the point of crying
                      when this album appeared.  How could she do it?  How
                      could she give up the style that she had created that
                      was solely hers for imitations of Country Western???
                      Of course, after listening to it a few times, I
                      realized what a complete genius she was, and she could
                      probably sing lyrics from a technical manual in
                      monotone with only a jew harp for music and still make
                      it delightful.  "Hockey" is probably my favorite from
                      this album;  it's probably the only one that completely
                      evokes another world when your listening to it.

Well, that's it!

-Marq