Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Reaching Out (was Re: The album's cover + Melody Maker)

From: James Smith <munnari!cc.nu.oz.au!CCJS@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 89 17:12 -1000
Subject: Re: Reaching Out (was Re: The album's cover + Melody Maker)

From: CCJS@cc.nu.oz (James Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 12 Nov 89 17:11:56 -1000

Jon Drukman writes (in reply to me):

> I'm really intrigued by the fact that you say that this song more than
> any other is "Just Kate." Because it really isn't.

When I listen to music, I generally listen for the sound of the music
and the effect it has on me.  I don't generally listen to the words,
other than to enjoy the rhythm they add to the music.  I much prefer
a song with a good strong melodic line and an interesting rhythm to
one with a message, or one that tells a story.

For me Kate's most beautiful work has always been that in which she
shows off her voice rather than that in which she shows off her skills
as a producer.  I much prefer The Kick Inside to The Dreaming, because
the songs feature her singing and her voice.

The reason I say that Reaching Out is "Just Kate" is because everything
in it is there to emphasise the beauty of her voice; the strings and
synthesisers don't overpower it, and the violin adds a beautiful
counterpoint to emphasize it.  As a counter example, in Heads We're
Dancing, or say Waking The Witch, Kate's voice is really just there
as another instrument.

> It's more like
> Barbara Streisand or Bette Midler or (god forbid) Jon Bon Jovi.

What has Kate's style to do with the beauty of her work?  If she's
choosen a style akin to Barbara Streisand, so what?  She's still
produced a beautiful piece of music.  Or are you saying that the
style of music Kate chooses to produce in some way affects how
good or bad it is?

> My personal opinion is that Kate
> is at her best when telling us stories.

This is, I guess, why I posted.  You are saying "Reaching Out is
horrible" instead of "I think Reaching Out is horrible"; you are
putting forth your own opinion as though it were the absolute truth,
albiet unintentionally.  I'm sure this rubs a lot of people up the
wrong way--it certainly does me.

Reaching Out is a perfect example of the sort of song that it is.  It
is well produced, has a beautiful melody, is arranged beautifully, and
features great performances from those who made it.  Are you really
objecting to the quality of the song, or to its style?  And if so, is
it fair to brand this song as bad just because it doesn't appeal to
you?

Jim

--
James Smith          | When a man fell into his anecdotage
Computing Centre     | it was a sign for him to retire from