Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: male / female songs

From: halley!steve@cs.utexas.edu (Steve Williams)
Date: 11 Nov 89 05:02:33 GMT
Subject: Re: male / female songs
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In a recent article, Julian.West@MAC.DARTMOUTH.EDU writes in response
to one of tracy's:

[First tracy wrote: ]
>> songs such as "love & anger" and "never be mine",
>
>> tracks like "rocket's tail" or "the fog".
>
>Tracy, in what sense is "rocket's tail" _anything_like_
>"the fog"?  And how do they collectively differ from
>"love & anger"?  I just can't make sense of your
>attempt to break the album into male and female songs,
>because I can't see what foundation you are trying to
>base it on.

Not "defending" tracy (or attacking julian, whom I credit for initiating
much of my pre-release understanding of TSW), but I don't think tracy
stated outright that "Rocket's Tail" was *like* "The Fog", just that
she'd noted a preference among females at her site for those songs,
while the males preferred the other examples.  Perhaps the word "like"
should be read "such as" to more accurately convey the sense of the
paragraph.  And while I'd hate to think we have to take sides about
Kate's music based on our gender, Kate herself was the first to bring up
the idea that this is her most "female" work to date.  So tracy can't be
faulted for posting the preferences she's noted among her co-workers.

By the bye, my own current favorites are the interlocked pair of
"Between a Man and a Woman" and "Never Be Mine".  So what does that
make me?

Buy the other bigh, my two favorite phrases on the album occur within
seconds of one another, interrupted by my *least* favorite phrase.
The winners are the "Nmmmmm-nmmmm-nmmmmm...nmmmm-nmmmm-nmmmm" at the
end of "LaA" and the Laugh after the song.  My least favorite?  The
gratuitous "Yeah!" in between the other two phrases.  Although I'd
never really do it, I've considered deleting that phrase when I get
around to making cassette copies of the album.

Steve Williams               ...!cs.utexas.edu!halley!steve
Tandem Computers                (512)-244-8252