Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Siberry wows British critics

From: Gregg Simmons <gatech!images.Waterloo.NCR.COM!gregg@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 89 8:34:03 EST
Subject: Siberry wows British critics

Hi Love Hounds,

	I found this short item on Jane Siberry in last nights (Nov.8) Kitchener
-Waterloo Record (our local newspaper).

Siberry's latest wows British critics

	LONDON (CP) - An ocean away from home, Toronto singer-songwriter Jane
Siberry is being decorated with stars by many of Britain's music critics.
	Her fifth album, Bound By The Beauty, just released in Britain, and her
concerts over the last week have won rave reviews from music critics and warm
applause from audiences.
	"Albums of this quality are rare," Johnny Black, music critic for Q
magazine, declared in awarding Siberry a grade of four stars out of four.
	Two other music critics also hailed her album with four stars.
"Uncomprimising, unequivocal, unstoppable," is how Glyn Brown of 2020 magazine
put it.
	Siberry, who performed with her four-man band in Bath, Brighton and
London, takes the positive reviews to heart.
	"I feel I can touch the music lover in a critic," she said in an
interview before taking the stage at London's Bloomsbury Theatre.  "I touch
that part of a person more often than the critical side.  That make them happy
so they like the music."
	She said she feels honoured to win such "passionate and emotional"
praise, knowing how critics can become "irrational, almost angry, when they
don't like something."  Siberry, 32, has felt the sting of British critics in
the past.
	CD Review magazine said it has "disliked Jane Siberry since her first
album - she's been so girlie that you wanted to choke."  But based on her most
recent work, the magazine says that it has "been wrong about her all along."
	Bound By The Beauty highlights the singer's "wonderfully clear and
flexible vocals ... whispering through material both ethereal and humourous,"
the magazine says in its November issue.

					Gregg Simmons
					g.simmons@waterloo.ncr.com

"Five intelligent minds, huddled in a fancy restaurant.
 All that brainpower bent on, 'What shall I ...'"
		Jane Siberry, "Half Angel, Half Eagle"