Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Maybe Katey

From: Douglas MacGowan <MACGOWAN@NIC.DDN.MIL>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 89 10:43:23 PST
Subject: Maybe Katey

I just got this posting in Love-Hounds today (11/9/89), so somebody
may have already said this, but I don't recall seeing any response, so
here goes:

|>oug wrote:

> Anybody have any idea what's with this recent trend of Kate lying
> about certain things in interviews?

> From the *You* interview:

> 	"A friend of the family, Rickie Hopper, introduced us," Kate
>	recalls.  "Absolutely terrified and trembling like a leaf, I
>	sat down and played for him.  But Dave liked my songs very
>	much.  He put up some money, sent me into the studio to make
>	three really well-produced tracks.  I did 'The Man With the
>	Child in His Eyes', 'The Saxophone Song', plus some obscure
>	thing which ended up on a B side somewhere."

> The song "Maybe", which is the remaining song from Kate's final three
> song demo tape has never appeared on a B-side anywhere!

Sounds to me like she's talking about "Passing Through Air" and not
"Maybe".  I know that "Passing Through Air" was recorded at Dave's
house and not at the initial studio session, but the connection is
there anyway.

On an entirely different subject, I have heard a lot of bashing about
"Reaching Out" lately, and while I admit that the lyrics are not her
best, I think the melody and the power and emotion of her voice on
this track is really good.

After hearing the whole album many times, however, I *still* maintain
that "Ne T'en Fuis Pas" is the best thing she ever did.

Douglas MacGowan
MACGOWAN@NIC.DDN.MIL
-------