Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: CBC programs

From: sulak@ge-dab.GE.COM (John M. Sulak)
Date: 8 Nov 89 22:29:55 GMT
Subject: Re: CBC programs
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8911061952.AA17586@harry.CRIM.CA>, justin@HARRY.CRIM.CA (Justin Bur) writes:
> CBC Radio is the original CBC radio network, on AM in many
> cities and mono FM everywhere else.  I don't feel like typing
> in the list of frequencies: there are close to 100, not including
> low power relay transmitters.
>
> CBC Stereo is the FM stereo service, the one with Brave New Waves
> all night long and mostly classical music and jazz the rest of
> the day.  Here is the list of transmitters from Radio Guide:
>
> A note mentions that `CBC Stereo is also heard on many cable systems'.
>
> Sorry, no information on whether either show is carried on
> Radio Canada International.  Maybe later...

Two important notes: While RCI (Radio Canada International) may not
carry it, one can be sure that the CBC Northern Service almost certainly
would. CBC Northern Service on shortwave is heard worldwide almost as
clearly as RCI in many parts. (But no match for the ubiquitous BBC, VOA,
and Radio Moscow! :-)

The second point is that the CBC can be heard in excellent stereo
throught North America and probably into Central America and the
Carribean! I have listened to it here in Florida, only 90 miles from the
Bahamas and also at a point only 90 miles from Havana Cuba. How? Visit a
satellite TV store. A system installed for about $2,000 will do the
trick. Since I live in an apartment, I do not have one, but I have been
known to drop in on a dealer in order to listen to CFNY Toronto. [I have
been told that they are no longer as progressive as about 5 years ago,
when I last listened.] A bar in Key West was known to use them as
background music according to the DJ I spoke with, but he could not
remember the bar, and I never found it when I visited Key West several
years ago. :-(

John M. Sulak