Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: oops II

From: "Woj,,," <woiccare%image.soe!clutx.clarkson.edu@omnigate.clarkson.edu>
Date: 9 Nov 89 03:30:30 GMT
Subject: Re: oops II
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

>> me
>Pete Hartman:

>>- The advent of technology is having adverse effects on humanity. This
>>  is not explicitly stated in the song, but I get the feeling that comp-
>>  uters, etc. could very well be the reason for humanity to grow colder.
>>  My mother summed this up nicely when she said, "All you students going
>>  to technological schools are taught incredible things, but you never
>>  learn to communicate, to feel or to love!" Harsh and a bit stereotypical,
>>  but in some cases very true.

> My first reaction to this is *phah*.  My second reaction is to explain my
> first:  I've known a few recent art students (the antithesis of engineering/
> technical students, right?).  Perhaps they are good communicators, and perhaps
> they feel deeply, but LOVE?  That's not *fashionable* these days.  Hate and
> gloom and doom are the predominant emotions in the art department around here.
> Perhaps not typical of the nation as a whole, but you wonder sometimes, what
> with the stereotypes you get from hollywood (the mother in _Beetlejuice_ for
> example).  And as I recall my engineering background, they always TRIED to put
> a heavy emphasis on being able to communicate.  That's why the project
> presentations were graded so seriously.....

Well, to understand the quote, you have to understand my mom ;)

I agree with you: using my mother's quote as a defense is rather
shoddy, but my point still stands: technology is having an effect
on us and how with think, behave and interact. In some ways, it
is good (ie the net allows me to discuss KT with people all over
the world), but in others it is bad (I'd rather talk to you face
to face, cause otherwise you're just a string or words on my ter-
inal - it's "dehumanizing").

As for the hate, doom and gloom in the art department, they are
missing out!

>>                                                     I highly doubt that
>>someone who has developed an addiction to her personal conputer to the point
>>where she "is lonely [and] lost without her little black box" would realize
>>such.

> As one who went through the wonderful experience of computer addiction
> in my early adolescence, I can say that it's not that hard to realize.
> It comes down to the realization (that I think comes naturally with
> time) that people really ARE more interesting that a box of electronics.
> There's only so much interest you can get from absolute power over a chunk
> of silicon.

But were you addicted for *lack* of another or just by the *neatness*?

woj --- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu