Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KTB _Love and Anger_ source?

From: The Dead Ranger <buckaroo@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 89 13:05:48 PST
Subject: KTB _Love and Anger_ source?

I've been unlucky at posting to this group it the past, but here I go again...
I've been curious about where Kate got the phrase "Love and Anger," and while
browsing "Parzival" by Wolfram von Eschenbach (the 1980 Penguin edition,
translated by A. T. Hatto), I hit upon the following (on page 238):

"These glad tidings tell of the True Lover.  He is a light that shines through
all things, unwavering in His love.  Those to whom He shows His love find
contentment in it.  His wares are of two sorts: He offers the world love and
anger.  Now ask yourself which helps more...."

This is from ca. 1200.  Curious, no?

Michael Butler  (buckaroo@apple.com)... for another couple months, anyway!

"I remember sulking on the sofa / For most of the winter, we were strangers /
Just one more, to ease the ache / before the night takes me...."

/