Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A couple of corrections

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 89 18:39:28 EST
Subject: A couple of corrections
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

First, I'd like to thank Julian West for hosting the Vermont November
Night gathering and for introducing us to an incredible book of poetry
and art by Tom Phillips called *A Hummument*.  I suggest that everyone
check this out.  It is quite a masterpiece.

Secondly, I like to make a couple of corrections to some recent
postings of mine.  In one recent message, I said that Steve Sutherland
(of the recent *Melody Maker* interview) interviewed Kate in *Sounds*
in '78 or so.  After reading the *Melody Maker* interview, I quickly
realized that this could not be the case.  I was confusing Steve
Sutherland with Phil Sutcliffe.  Phil Sutcliffe did indeed do a
wonderful interview with Kate back in the early days for *Sounds*.  I
also believe he did a wonderful interview with Kate circa *Hounds of
Love* for another cover story in one of the big British music rags,
but don't quote me on it unless I dig up the magazine.

The other correction, I'd like to make is that I was probably mistaken
to say that Kate mixed *The Dreaming* both digitally and analogly.
The album was already mixed digitally or in the process of being mixed
digitally when Lynn (the company that makes $5,000 turntables)
approached Kate and tried to convince her to remix the album analogly,
saying (like true golden ears) that analog technology can produce much
better sound if done right than digital technology.  Kate did some
experiments with them, but decided that there really wasn't all that
much difference, but that the digital mixing created a slight
"crystalline" sound that seemed more appropriate for *The Dreaming*.

|>oug

"She looks at me with her hand extended.
 Her palm is split with a flower, with a flame."