Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Bash In Vermont

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 89 10:55:49 EST
Subject: Kate Bash In Vermont

First, I find it heartening that not 12 hours after I told Andrew
Marvick how I somewhat missed the older, more confrontational style
of love-hounds, that Tim Dickinski has surfaced from whatever god
forsaken underground hole he had been locked in to give us his latest
status report.

Second, I must tell IED that I deeply regret misreading his article in
the way that I did, but I still don't think Sutherland's techniques
were "self-serving."  What did he possibly hope to gain by it?  Wild
passionate sex with Kate Bush or something?  "Interviewer Of The Year"
award from the Bush camp?  "Snot Of The Year" award from IED?  Until
these questions can be answered satisfactorily, then I refuse to
retract my statements.

And now, what you've all been waiting for...

*** THE SENSUAL BASH IN VERMONT ***

Sunday mornings do not agree with me.  The bloodstains on my
toothbrush take on a particularly sinister aspect, and breakfast
always tastes like cardboard.  Plus, the house looks like a bomb has
fallen on it.  Yes, we Sunderland-ites party hard.  Anyway, I was
contemplating crawling back into bed and calling Julian with some
bogus story of my car having been carted off by a load of savage
pygmies or something, but I decided that a KT party might be just the
thing to shake those Sunday cobwebs away.  So, I loaded up the
Drukmobile, popped in a Skinny Puppy cassette and started out on a
hell of a trip.

Eventually, I arrived, and found Julian and Jenn Turney playing
Scrabble and cursing Joe Turner and |>oug Alan for not even having
left yet.  While Julian debated the relative merits of playing
"XAZYJQUAT" on a triple word score and Jenn debated the relative
merits of hitting Julian over the head with a log, I pondered the
cover of The Sensual World, revealed in all it's vinyl 12" glory
(thanks to Jenn Turney for bringing the actual album, since Julian
only had the CD.)  I thought I had found the KT symbol, but Julian
remained unconvinced.  |>oug, on the other hand, announced that I was
completely and utterly right.  Personally, I'm still skeptical, but
|>oug's enthusiasm can be overwhelming sometimes.  But I anticipate
myself.

Andrew Marvick phoned, but since |>oug and Joe were still on the road,
we told him to phone back later.

Eventually, those miscreants from Boston arrived, and we berated them
soundly for being bogey bums.  Introductions were given, I pointed out
the "KT" logo to |>oug who sung praises to the heavens, and then |>oug
and I settled down to our usual party behavior: arguing about "Deeper
Understanding."

Reason prevailed of course, and we left for a place called "Molly's"
to have brunch, but such was the tardiness of the other two that we
arrived at 3:10 PM, rather later than when brunch was served.  Not to
worry: the lunch was delicious nonetheless.

Arriving back at Julian's flat, Julian and Jenn prepared high tea for
us: hot mulled cider and real seedcake!  Let me tell you all that I
now understand all the "sensual" implications of seedcake.  Anybody
who wants to "take a kiss of it" back from my mouth, or would like me
to do same to them, please send applications to this email address.
Make sure you have a loaf handy for your next big date, guys.  This is
great stuff!

While devouring these mouth watering scrummies, Andrew Marvick called
again and we all had a go chatting with him.  A plea:  folks, give the
poor guy a break and let him have a chance to contemplate the magic of
"The Sensual World" in peace for a day or two!  He would never tell
you all to "bug off" because he's such a swell guy, but we're all
being horribly unfair to him (although I'm sure he's loving every
minute of it.)

The rest of the afternoon was spent discussing Kate, Michael Nyman,
Tom Philips, the latest issue of Homeground, the secret messages in
Watching You Without Me, acid house, and tea.  By the way |>oug, how
did you like the lapsang souchong?  We wanted to get out Julian's
telescope and spend a November Night, looking up into the sky (the big
sky?) but the clouds were out in force, and a cloudbuster was nowhere
to be had!

After a cup of tea, the march of time began to catch up with us, and
most of us had a long drive to look forward to (particularly poor
Jenn!), so we made our farewells.

The Drukmobile purred like a kitten all the way home and once I was
firmly installed in my lair, I contemplated the Tom Philips pages
Julian had bestowed on me (Thanks!) and tried to locate a decent
seedcake recipe in our cookbooks.  Then I passed out.  A great day, to
be sure!

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I like George Bush, but this `kinder,  |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | gentler' crap is killing us." - D.Trump |