Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: sharon@asylum.sf.ca.us (Sharon Fisher)
Date: Sun Nov 5 08:46:21 1989

From: sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Interview-transcribing
Date: 5 Nov 89 16:46:20 GMT

In article <1883.AA1883@radlein> ray@radlein.UUCP (Ray Radlein) writes:
>Fair Use has *everything* to do with the actual purpose of the quotation,
>and very little to do with the length of the quotation. I have seen Fair
>Use cover chapters-long excerpts on several occasions, and I have seen it
>cover the reproduction or quoting of *entire* works even more often. As
>long as the *purpose* of the citation is academic or critical, and no
>profit is being made on the transcription itself, then Fair Use is in
>force.
>
>An example: A professor wishes to include a question on a Final Exam about
>self-responsibility, as reflected in Poe's "The Imp of the Perverse." Since
>the story is not in the class textbook (or perhaps the professor doesn't
>want an open-book exam), he photocopies the story from out of another book,
>and passes it out with the exam. This is perfectly covered by Fair Use.

I'm not at all sure that your analogy is appropriate.  Rec.music.gaffa
isn't professors and students in a classroom; I think people are even
stretching it to call it an academic organization.  I know that other
groups on the net have gotten in trouble for copying publications, so
certainly the net as a whole isn't immune.