Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Laurie and Jane

From: donley@blake.acs.washington.edu (E. Donley Olson)
Date: 4 Nov 89 17:06:38 GMT
Subject: Re: Laurie and Jane
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <7371@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> bloch%mandrill.UUCP@ucsd.edu (Steve Bloch) writes:
>This album is your typical Laurie Anderson work, with one addition:
>MUSIC!  And I do mean addition; all the mind-games Laurie's famous for
>are still there, the lyrics rhyme a bit more often than before, and
>she sings most of them rather than speaking them.  I always liked her
>monologue style, but would you believe it works at least as well to
>music?

I really enjoyed the new Laurie Anderson for the new stylisms... Its as
though all these experimental people are growing with the times, and the
technology has now progresses with them enough that on the new Laurie album,
I don't find myself sitting around and saying "Now, what's she running her
voice through now?"  It's as though the songs have finally busted through
the technology... Eg: on "the day the devil comes..." she sings very much
like a MAN, but I didn't really notice any effects this time around...
COmpare with any of her old stuff with the harmonizer, where she would say
"GOOD EVENING" in a very deep, but obviously processed voice...

The same feeling I get from the new Kate Bush album as well (:-)).
Do any of you actually NOTICE the vocoder chorus in _Deeper Understanding_,
right underneath the Trio?  I found that when listening REAL CLOSE on
headphones one night... Normally, it just sounds very etherial.  But take
something off, say, _The Dreaming_, like "Leave it Open" and "Get Out of
My House" and you could instantly say -- "Ah, a Flanger!" or "ooh, she's
processing her voice through SOMETHING" there...  That seems to have mutated
nowadays.  Did anyone also know that on TSW Kate no longer lists keyboards
by brand name anymore (ie: Fairlight).  Just "keyboards".  Sounds like
another indication of this trend.

    - Eo