Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Some mini-reviews from '85

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 89 18:34:11 EST
Subject: Some mini-reviews from '85
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

I recently dug up the following minireviews that I copied out of
magazines onto tiny scraps of paper while standing at newstands back
in '85.  I don't think I ever typed them in and posted them to
Love-Hounds.  Here they are now -- better late than never.  The first
two are reviews of the *Hounds of Love* album.  The rest are reviews
of the "Cloudbusting" single.

Reviews of *Hounds of Love* album...

*Smash Hits*, 11-24 Sep 1985

If you for a moment imagined that "Running Up That Hill" was a fluke,
then one listen to this will put you right.  Side one is crammed with
songs that are just as good, and even side two's ambitious concept
piece about a drowning girl ("The Ninth Wave") is surprisingly
successful.  In fact, the only possible draw-back is that it's the
sort of record your parents will probably like too and pinch off you
to play.  (9 out of 10) -- Chris Heath

Source forgotten -- some British music rag in Sep '85

If "Running Up That Hill" crept up on you from behind, then *Hounds of
Love* is an essential purchase.  Three years in the making, it's a
haunting collection of musical images.  Each track has been assembled
with loving care and although the lyrics drift into Hippy Dippy Land,
you'd have to be a supreme cynic to deny the beauty of the finished
product.  One for Marillion fans everywhere.

Reviews of "Cloudbusting"...

*The Hit*, 26 October 1985

In pop, Authenticity is what counts.  Singing what you want to sing,
no matter how stupid, instead of pandering to image or fashion.  Kate
Bush is an Authentic.  An authentic hippy perhaps, but the public are
now so hungry for that honesty that the very uncommercial *Hounds of
Love* entered the charts at No. 1, whereas, just three years before,
its equally off-the wall predecessor, *The Dreaming*, languished in
the cold.

"Running Up That Hill" was *Hounds* most obvious single.
"Cloudbusting" -- the story of a man who invents a rain machine -- is
blatantly an album track.  Kate's luscious melodies are underpinned by
a strident and remorseless chop of violins.

But in a world of pretend groups like Eighth Wonder, even Kate's most
indulgent honesty is refreshing.  A No. 1.  -- Martin Townsend

*Smash Hits*, 23 October 1985 - 5 November 1985

Kate reminds me of those "astral" acquaintances I used to meet as a
teenager on camping holidays -- unusual, unpredictable, but with a
charm that always attracted me.  Listen out for the stirring string
section, an electric groove of Navajo red Indian drums and some
British pomp rock.  I'm a fan.  -- Paul King

*No. 1*, 19 October 1985

After the magnificent "Running Up That Hill", Kate returns with
another dreamy breeze of a song.  There's chugging strings, that
soaring voice and a wonderfully evocative melody.  Add to that a
fascinating story line video and you've got another massive hit.
Music to swoon by.  -- Karen Swayne.

Source forgotten -- some British music rag in Oct '85

"Fortress Around Your Heart", "Cloudbusting"

Sting dreams of turtles, Kate dreams of sheep -- call it an early
winter, but both of these singles make me shiver.  Sounding vaguely
like Steely Dan, Sting's lush escapade combines the obsession/passion
of EBYT with snapshots of war and devistation.

Meanwhile, the string sextet on "Cloudbusting" will wrap themselves
round your nervous system and start to beat like a pulse, irresitibly.
Kate's lyrics shift from harmless observations on weather conditions
to glow in the dark yo-yos and hiding people from the government.  The
video apparently explains it all, but I really think she does this
kind of thing deliberately, to be honest.