Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Beatles questions

From: <RICHARD%HNYMPI52.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 89 23:32 N
Subject: Beatles questions

SOME QUESTIONS FOR DIE-HARD BEATLES FREAKS TO RACK THEIR BRAINS ABOUT:

First of all, has Mark Lewisohn's book titled - I believe - _The Complete
Recording Sessions_ appeared yet? I know that the publication date has
been put off several times, but I definitely thought it had come out,
even though the shop assistant assured me it wasn't available.

Secondly, is there any chance that the BBC radio recordings (at least
the studio tapes that remain of these sessions, many have apparently been
erased to make room for more recent shows) will be released? Have the
Beatles themselves taken legal action to prevent it, or is there any
other reason? Most of these were broadcast in Britain in a commemorative
BBC programme back in about 1982 anyway, so what's the hassle?

Thirdly, apart from the crappy Beatles demos you hear now and then on the
radio or at some Beatlologists' convention, some genuinely interesting
tracks are still in the can (i.e. not officially released), even though
they sound like fully realized studio recordings with arrangements and
overdubs completely worked out. For instance, there's John Lennon's
quirky psychedelic parody _LS Bumble Bee_. May this have been locked away
to avoid legal complications with the drugs connotations? What about
Harrison's jazzy ballad _Not Guilty_, featuring Eric Clapton on guitar
(parts of his solo are reapeated in tape-loop fashion, really
fascinating!). Does anyone know of other enticing tidbits? Is there any
chance of them being released officially?

                                     Richard Piepenbrock
                                        (richard@hnympi52.bitnet)