Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Daily Illini TSW Review

From: Michael Mendelson <mendel@cs.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 89 14:05:57 -0600
Subject: Daily Illini TSW Review

Appearing Oct. 27, 1989 in the Directory section of the University
of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, was the following review.  The DI
Ratings system is a five star scale, 5=Classic 1=Poor.  TSW got 3 stars.
Comments in [square brackets] are mine.
---------------------
Kate Bush
_The Sensual World_
Columbia Records

	Kate Bush drips sexuality.
	Anyone even somewhat familiar with Kate's music has surely experienced
her incredible sensual presence.  In _The Sensual World_, the sensuality is
still there, but it's tainted with a heavy dose of sexuality, making for one
hell of an exciting ride.
	The title track heats things up almost immediately.  Bush teases
listeners with her sultry cooing and provocative lyrics.  The intriguing
bagpipe sound, coupled with her frequent moanings ("mmmhh yesss"), are sure
to stir the kilts of any red-blooded Scot.
	At first listen, the second groove, "Love and Anger," sounds like a
duet: You'd swear Cyndi Lauper [?!] was singing.  But she's not (I checked
the credits); it's just Kate.  [Quite a relief, ay?]  This tune is similar
to "The Big Sky" because there is almost too much going on---lots of humming,
"oh yeah"s and some amazing background vocals that will leave your head
spinning.
	Gulls, crashing waves, various whistles and woodwinds make "The Fog"
a relaxing orchestral listening experience.  About love and fear, it sports
one of the best violin solos ever recorded in pop music.
	"Hey, heads we dance!" screams Kate in the lead to "Heads We're
Dancing."  You'd never guess from the title, but the song concerns Hitler
and his seduction of a young woman.  The forlorn maiden unwittingly falls
for his charm, the later laments: "They say that the Devil is a charming
man/And just like you I bet he can dance."  The devil and almost anyone else
can surely dance to this tune; the rhythm is absorbing.
	The background vocals of many [? Is 3 many?] of the tracks feature
The Trio Bulgarka, but none use the threesome to their true potential
except "Rocket's Tail (For Rocket)."  A lyrical poem of sorts, Kate sings
a cappella until midsong.  Then drums and guitar kick in, and the Trio's
chanting escalates to a frenzy.  Although the hyperactive chanting almost
drowns the last verse's vocals, the song still works. [Phew!]
	"This Woman's Work," the 10th track, is certainly the best song
on the album.  [Hmmm, never considered this as a candidate for best song
because it had already been around.  Maybe, maybe...]  Kate's keyboards
sparkle, and Michael Kamen's orchestral arrangement is brilliant.  Faced
with the impending death of a loved one, the vocals overflow with emotion
as she croons: "I know you have a little life yet/I know you have a lot of
strength left."  Her sadness so overwhelms, it may even spark a tear or two.
	Not all the songs are wonderful; two are moderate at best.  "Reaching
Out" delivers Freudian mother connotations, and in "Deeper Understanding,"
Kate is in love with a personal computer.  [Really?]  Both are somewhat lame
[RO maybe, but I heartily disagree about DU, which to me is among the three
best songs on the album] but are spread apart in the album, having little
effect on the overall work.
	_The Sensual World_ is a treat to hear. [Yay!] Give the disc a spin
and see if you agree.  Then listen to it again, this time on headphones.
WOW!
							    Rich Carlson
								   * * *
Overall, a positive review, although a little naive and childish.
But that's par for the course, or actually, better that par around here.
Reporting from the Feeding Trough of America, this is Mike Mendelson
signing off.
			        			.

						"No pinky ring hustlers,
						 No sabre-tooth neighbours"