Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hello Earth

From: Francis Stanley Cwiklik <fc0h+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 89 21:02:15 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Hello Earth

Ed Lieser writes:

>In "Hello Earth",
>there is apparently some German near the end of the cut.  To me, it
sounds like:

>"Tiefer, tiefer, lagen vorne tiefer,
>Gibt es all licht."
>
>I'm pretty sure about the "tiefer", which means "deeper".  And "Gibt es all
>licht" means something like "light is everywhere".  This makes perfect sense
>in the context too.  But the "lagen vorne" is just a guess with a couple of
>words that sound like what she's saying.  Any German experts out there?

Actually, the exact wording of this phrase is...

                   "Tiefer, tiefer.
           Ergendwo in der Tiefe
           Gibt es ein licht."

I don't know any German, so I can't tell what it means, but I hope the
exact wording helps anyway.

By the way, does anyone have any idea what that male chorus is singing
in the two sections of the song,. and is it Russian, Czech, Polish, or
Serbian?  (It sounds Polish or Czech to me, but it also sounds vaguley
Czech to me, and someone once swore to me up and down that it was
Russian...  I dunno!)

			---frank

"Hey, hey now...  don't be mean.  We can't be mean,
because, you know, wherever you go...  there you are."
	---Buckaroo Banzai

DISCLAIMER:  None of the sentiments expressed in this
posting are anybody's, least of all mine.