Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Laurie quick review

From: Marq Laube <marq@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 89 14:20:06 PDT
Subject: Laurie quick review

This new album of hers, in my most humble of opinions, is excellent, and almost
makes up for a recent disappointment...

_Strange Angels_ is much more "easy listening" than early Laurie -- more like
the song Language is a Virus than it is like Sweaters...

Nevertheless, the album is creative and exciting.  Her lyrics are as good
as ever, and her sound is so polished!  Her voice lessons have amazing
results.  In one song (at least) she sounds like a silky Sinead O'Connor!

Unfortunately, none of the songs seem to touch the Essence of the Universe,
Love, and Life in quite the same way that Sharkey's Day, or Gravity's Rainbow
do.  At least, not that I've noticed yet...

Two thumbs up.  A 9 on a scale of 0 to 10.

-Marq

"...heaven is like TV..."  -Laurie