Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KT MTV-Europe appearance

From: Norvald Stol <stol%vax.elab.unit.uninett@nac.no>
Date: 27 Oct 89 16:35 +0100
Subject: KT MTV-Europe appearance

The following is an attempt of transcribing what KT said
on MTV-Europe's "News of the Week"(or something like that)-
program last week.

I am, however, unable to get all the formulations correct.
I guess some of them are slang words; but in one occasion (the very
last word she says here) it's probably a proper english word unknown
to me. Please note that english is NOT my native language, before
sending out heavy "flames"!
I've used <...> for words which are uncertain/unknown to me.

It'starts off with an intro by the program-presenter, Pip Dann :

PIP: And then there is Kate Bush and her <cutesy> Sensual World.
floating dancy things to post-modern meets Kurosawa. But whatever
<guise> she chooses to appear in, the one constant is that her
music is interresting, innovative, and provides the media with
endless scope for analysis and speculation. But just what has SHE
got to say about it ?

   ..(Clips from Wuthering Heights and The Sensual World videos.
      during Kate's "statement" the music to TSW is faded in and
      out, and some glimpses are also shown inbetween showing her
      sitting besides some studio equipment (I think it is) ).

KATE: It's an extrodinary series of things that can act as inspiration,
from something someone might say in a conversation to something you
see in a film or you read in a book. I would say that they are my
main forms of inspiration. Particulary films over the years, because
I suppose with visual imaginary -e- it's such powerful stuff, it
can hang around in your head for a long time and come back. So when
you come to the next album, chances are to find something interresting
again, something new. You have to look that much further, you have to
go OVER the hill, rather than just UP the hill this time (smiling).
And also between albums -e- if you're not careful, you just make the
writing a continuation of the album before, rather than starting
something new, trying to say something new on the album, which
hopefully is what it's about. You know, I think most people still
think of me as the Wuthering Heights weird, lots of arms and hair
(laughing). With something like "The Sensual World", it's very much
imagiary, it's a <nuration> and it's dealing with quite abstract
things. -e- So it was quite difficult knowing what to do with this
video. I ended up feeling the best thing to do was to turn it into
a performance, and I worked with Peter Richardson. He was a lot of
fun to work with. We wrote it together, and he gave me much more
freedom in front of the camera, to be a performer working with a
partner. And really I think we wanted to get across the idea of
the sensuality of the world, say, the weather, the elemental energies,
and keep it a straight performance but moving through these different
things that the environment <...this last word sounds like "choses",
                             but I guess it should be "imposes", or
                             something like that ...>

--- end of "statement" ---

When flaming MTV, make sure it's the US MTV you're flaming.
MTV-Europe shows the TSW-video many times a day, in fact I
think it's currently one of the MOST SHOWN videos.
I suspect that VJ Maiken Wex| is a HUGE KT-fan. She has also
shown many of Kate's older videos lately.

Bye for now.

Norvald (in Trondheim, Norway).