Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: So happy to be alive...

From: stewarte@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (The Man Who Invented Himself)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 89 17:25:15 -0700
Subject: Re: So happy to be alive...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Was I only dreaming, or did Michael Mendelson <mendel@cs.uiuc.edu> say:

>The only (minor) complaint I have is with Heads We're Dancing, which,
>despite having the best title of any song on the album, would be better
>off not referring to Hitler.  Kate says in NME that she'll be angry if
>anyone is offended by this song, but this unfortunately reflects Kate's
>lack of full understanding of the profundity of the Holocaust and said
>genocidists crucial role therein.  Hitler's crimes against society are
>so heinous, that even a cautious reference tends to trivialize these
>acts.  I, and many to whom I am close, feel strongly that allusion to
>Hitler in any light (e.g. his human side, attractiveness in the midst
>of "devil," etc.), however fleeting and cautious, must simply be
>avoided no matter the temptation.

I disagree completely.  To recognize that Hitler was human does not
trivialize his actions; just the opposite.  If we insist on convincing
ourselves that Hitler was not human -- that he was some sort of demon,
monster, something fundamentally different from the rest of us -- then
we increase the chance that we won't recognize the next Hitler for
what he is.  Because if another leader like Hitler comes to power,
in any country, you can bet he won't have horns on his head and
a long red tail.  The capacity for evil in humanity is what we really
have to watch out for.

-- Stewart

--
"I have screaming rabbits in my dreams."
			-- beckyw