Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TSW reaction, etc

From: donley@blake.acs.washington.edu (Erik Olson)
Date: 18 Oct 89 07:21:43 GMT
Subject: TSW reaction, etc
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I came upon an interesting fact as I was snatching up the last copy of
the TSW CD on display at a local record store:  I had been a "fantTiK"
since around 1980 or so (a family friend had turned both me and my sister
on to TKI and NFE).  The release of _The Dreaming_ came roughly at about
the same time as I started High School (found my sister was playing
"Sat In Your Lap", (which I had owned for a year already) and much to my
amazement, the tape continued with strange new music.), _HoL_ was released
just a month or so after I started college (& I snapped it up on LP the
day it came out), and wonder of wonders, here I am one month into Graduate
School and what'dya think happens?

Does this mean the next one will not be out until I have a PhD?  Yipe!

Reactions to the record -- the most "etherial" sound I've heard out of
a Kate Bush album.  Her voice is noticably more "nasal" -- like she
is whispering much of the time.  It seems as though she's mellowed out
a lot... I like it.  Contrary to what some have said in their trying
to compare it to other of her albums, this one really did move me.
Ironically, the one I didn't quite get into yet is "Rocket's Tail,"
though I suspect after the next 100 times through I'll like it the best
on the album like everyone else.  I don't know about you guys, but I think
the dynamics and the ambience makes this one (but that's because I haven't
poured over the lyric sheet yet...)

   - Eo