Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A review of the World

From: JONES%RPIECS.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 89 08:32:37 EST
Subject: A review of the World

Hi there fellow Love-Hounds--
  Like the rest of you who weren't fortunate enough to get your hands on
a promo copy of _The Sensual World_, I hit the local Record Town yesterday
and snagged it.  The girl behind the counter commented that she had just
finished putting all the CD's out a few hours before...and I think I took
the last copy from the bin.
  Anyway!  Just thought I'd throw in my two cents' worth about Kate's
latest.
  The first time through the album, there were things that instantly
caught my attention:
                     _Love and Anger_
                     The absolutely GLORIOUS laugh between _Love and
                        Anger_ and _The Fog_
                     The POWER of the vocals in _Reaching Out_
                     The funky little rhythms at the beginning of
                        _Heads We're Dancing_
                     _Deeper Understanding_

  To perfectly honest, I just about cringed the first time I listened to
_Rocket's Tail_.  There was just something about it that I hated.  But
never fear, you Hounds out there.  I used to hate Marillion's _Misplaced
Childhood_ and Gabriel #3 at one point too.  For that matter, I used to
have doubts about 3/4 of the stuff on _The Dreaming_.  I'm sure that with
a few more listens, it will start to grow on me.  :)
  So far (after 2 listens), my favorites are _LAA_, _Reaching Out_, _Deeper
Understanding_.  I loved _This Woman's Work_ then and still love it now (I
get goosebumps about the size of dimes).  This album is pretty different
from _Hounds_, but that certainly doesn't make it WORSE.  I think Kate is
defintely growing up, and her use of the Bulgarian Trio and a more 'ethnic'
sound reflects that.
  Ah, but the sound of that laugh still haunts me...I guess somewhere, the
child in Kate still lurks.

  Happy listening to all!!
                                        All the best,
                                             Deb Wentorf

P.S.  Someone commented earlier on the "lameness" of the front picture.  I
      really disagree.  The lack of color forces you to search elsewhere
      in the photo.  You can't look away from those eyes, but if you do,
      you see and can almost imagine the velvety feel of those rose petals,
      can see the creamy slice of bare shoulder.  It's a very seductive
      picture; what could better convey the idea of sensuality/sexuality?