Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Roy Harper & some misK

From: claris!wombat@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Scott Lindsey)
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 89 16:04:06 PDT
Subject: Roy Harper & some misK

Yes, I did run out and get my copy of TSW today, but I figure that's what
everyone else will be talking about & I wouldn't have much to add yet.  One
hopeful note, though, when I got my copy, about 2 hrs. after the store opened,
the lady at the counter was amazed... she said that she'd sold a copy of TSW
to just about every person who'd walked in so far.  And she'd had queries
about the singles...
Also due out is the eponymous _Annie Haslam_, but my local store says it's
been pushed back a week :-(
--

I just found some more Roy Harper CD releases.  I imagine they've been out for
a few months in the U.K., but they just showed up in the past week in my local

_Born in Captivity_ has a bit of a different history: "This record is
identical to the one issued in 1984 as a collector's item.  830 of those
were made and disappeared very quickly.  I was determined at the time to
keep this record to under a thousand copies but the demand for it has been
such that it has occupied a lot of our time and mail telling people that it
is not available.  Since this continues to be the case and since I have also
gained access to one or two of the old records, it has been necessary to
form a relationship with someone who could deal with the business end of
the old records and a re-issue of 'Born in Captivity', which you now have in
your hands), in order to lessen the load coming through my door.  'Born in
Captivity' as it has now come to be called, was the demo tapes for 'Work of
Heart' and that it has become so popular is I suspect testament to the fact
that people like their 'RH', with a little bit of a raw edge, rather than in
the case of 'Work of Heart', which is perhaps a little too polished for some.
The first issue of this record will always be a collectors item in so far
as the sleeves notes, colours and labels have been altered or changed.  This
record is being released by Andy Ware on a new label Awareness Records and
any information on this record together with the impending release of
_Stormcock_ and _Folkjokeopus_ [!!] on the label this year can be obtained
from Awareness Records [address...]

The cover is by Jaqui Turner and James Edger, based on an original photograph
by John Carder Bush.

There's also a good quote on the back cover: "I would like to take this
opportunity of thanking you all for our support over the years.  It's no more
of an easy job to survive in the shallow music business than it is in the
equally shallow outside.  The only way I can think I can ever repay you is
by continuing.  You got yourselves a deal."

OK, so he's not the most grammatically adept person, but it's a good
sentiment.
--

   Really-From: koeppel@porthos.rutgers.edu (jessica)

> help!
> my postings don't seem to be getting through!!!!
> at least, I am not seeing them!
> so this is sort of a test...
> and silly me didn't save the last thing i posted...
> (I figured i'd save it from the news reader... ;)

Keep in mind you're posting to a mailing list which is sort of hooked up to
the USENet newsgroup... so everything you post has to go to |>oug then come
back before it shows up in your local spool.
--

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"