Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: oppie

From: Andy Tucker <tucker@Neon.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 89 18:08:26 -0700
Subject: Re: oppie
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <658289@mac.Dartmouth.EDU> Julian West writes:
>I think the goddess is Kali, not Shiva, and the quote is
>"I _am_ become death, the destroyer of worlds."

The _god_ is Vishnu.  It's from the Bhagavad Gita---Vishnu takes his
multi-armed form to impress the Prince into doing his duty and says
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

For a fascinating look at the people and events involved in the development
of the atomic bomb, see Richard Rhodes' THE MAKING OF THE ATOMIC BOMB.

--
Andy Tucker					tucker@cs.stanford.edu
"Ode on a Grecian Urn" is worth any number of old ladies.  ---Faulkner