Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: microsoft!stevesc@uunet.uu.net
Date: Sat Oct 14 15:14:12 1989

From: stevesc@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Schonberger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Jon Drukman's Theories
Date: 14 Oct 89 22:14:11 GMT

In article <35558@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> ed@das.UUCP (Edward Suranyi) writes:
>There is only one somewhat reasonable explanation.  Perhaps KT
>*did* know what Hitler looked like from pictures, but he looked
>sufficiently different in real life that she didn't recognize
>him.  Never having seen Hitler in real life myself, I couldn't
>say how likely this is.  However, as everyone knows, Hitler's
>appearance was quite distinctive.

It's very easily possible that this is the case.  Consider that the
woman in the song only had newspaper pictures to go by.  Those are
generally rather fuzzy black and white pictures, and fuzzier 50 years
ago than now.  I've met people whose pictures I've seen in advance,
when those pictures have often been clear and color.  I've still not
been able to recognize quite a few of those people in person, because
people _do_ often look different in person.

Some of those people have been famous or semi-famous, and some have
just been net friends who I've traded pictures with.  When I first met
my (then future) girlfriend, I had three pictures of her, one a very
clear color picture.  Still, I barely recognized her, though it was
easier because she and the friend she had with her were the only ones
present in the place we agreed to meet.

The woman in the song would have had the additional confusion that
most the pictures she would have seen of Hitler would have been formal
portraits, compared to an informal setting in a presumably dimly lit
dance hall.  The final thing to lead her to overlook the resemblance
is that one wouldn't expect to find a famous dictator socializing in a
dance hall.  It's very possibly that she would not realize who it was
until the sobriety of the next day.

--
	Steve Schonberger	microsoft!stevesc@uunet.uu.net
	"Working under pressure is the sugar that we crave" --A. Lamb