Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

Robin Denselow

[end of John Cale review] Ambitious, but it's hard to see which market
this will appeal to.

If it weren't for the fact that her single The Sensual World is already in
the Top Ten, it would be tempting to say the same thing about Kate Bush.
The Warbling One is back with her first studio album in four years, and it's
not so much a collection of strong songs (with the notable exception of the
piano-backed final ballard), as a collection of rhythmic, drifting mood
pieces that ought to be far more interesting considering the remarkable
selection of musicians involved.

There's Davey Spillane with his uillean pipes and whistle, Nigel Kennedy on
violin, Dave Gilmour on guitar, Michael Nyman conducting the orchestra,
and even the exhilarating and powerful harmony group the Trio Bulgarka
adding backing vocals.

They must have been utterly baffled by what was going on, especially if
Ms Bush explained her lyrics to them. They are first heard, chanting eerily
on a song about loneliness and word processing ("I turn to my computer like
a friend ..."), and later appear, with the unlikely backing of a spacy
Gilmour guitar theme, on a song about dressing as a witch and leaping off
Waterloo Bridge holding on to a rocket.

The review appeared along side the Adam Sweeting interview with Kate
I posted yesterday. The top headline was "Our two critics differ over
Kate Bush's album. She's just pleased it's stopped people asking her
about sex."

Neil