Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Jon Drukman's theories

From: gatech.edu!mit-eddie!gaffa.mit.edu!jsd@cs.utexas.edu (Jon Drukman)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 89 13:09:08 GMT
Subject: Re: Jon Drukman's theories
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
>I have a question.  When she says "It's a picture of Hitler", is
>she being literal or metaphorical?  In other words, is it a picture
>of a "terrifying butcher" (as you put it, Jon) which reminds her
>of Hitler, or was she really dancing with Der Fuehrer?

I believe it is a literal song.  She literally was hit on by Adolf
and she had a dance with him, ignorant of his identity.

>The problem is, neither quite makes sense to me yet.  If it's
>metaphorical, then why does she mention the year being 1939?

Ah, now we get into historical significance.  As I learned in my
English class this week (the same one that gave us a handout of
the Molly Bloom soliloquy from Ulysses last week -- I think this
guy is a secret Kate fan), 1939 is the year when WWII really got
underway, or at least the events prompting it.  This is the year
that Hitler invades Czechoslovakia.

>On the other hand, I can't imagine that anybody in Germany in
>1939 could possibly fail to recognize Adolf Hitler!

Ah, now you're reading into the song a meaning that isn't there
at all.  Who ever said it took place in Germany?  Maybe it takes
place in Czechoslovakia the day before the invasion.  Chew on
that one!

|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I like George Bush, but this 'kinder,  |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | gentler' crap is killing us." - D.Trump |