Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Ambiguous music

From: motcid!marble!meadley@uunet.UU.NET (A. Meadley)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 89 09:31:12 CDT
Subject: Ambiguous music

Here follows a quote from Robert John Godfrey, of The Enid,
which I think is of great relevance to Doug and IED's recent
discussions.

"Ambiguity is the great instrument which the composer has at
his disposal. Ambiguity stirs people's hearts and is capable
of kindling the flame which enlightens our inner selves. Music
at its best is a spiritual language which communicates directly
with the soul. It bypasses all other languages, races, creeds
and opinions. One thing which humanity can reasonably expect
to share with life elsewhere in the universe is music."

Ant in Chicago.