Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

OK, I'll discuss something else.

From: caeco!i-core!pete@uunet.UU.NET (Pete Ashdown)
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 89 19:42:48 GMT
Subject: OK, I'll discuss something else.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

(Warning, non-Kate Bush message)
I saw Butthole Surfers on Thursday.  Quite a show.  They had some
REALLY psychedelic lights.  I think that the people who were on acid
that night must have lost it.  I had earplugs in, and it was still
LOUD.  Of course, it was in a garage, so that can be expected.  They
had two projectors going.  One was showing nuclear bombs and buildings
being destroyed while the other shows American Cancer Society cartoons
and an entire episode of Charlie's Angels.  Later they got really
raunchy and showed some genital operations.  Made me want to grab my
crotch in pain.  Oh yeah, the band played good too. :-)

I saw R.E.M. for the second time last night.  These boys are still up
to par.  Going from a Church-sized arena to a Stadium sized arena here
in Salt Lake.  Terrific films, although last time, they had this great
set that looked like a house, this time it was a little more plain.
The films were a lot better though.  The had an opening film that said
"Hello, (your city here).  Its great to be back in (your city here).
Are you ready to Rock and Roll?  (crowd noise).  Now lets hear a pin
drop. SHHHHHHH.  There are three simple rules. ONE  Be courteous and
kind to those around you. HELLO NEIGHBOR!  TWO Do not hurtle missiles
or objects. Someone could be injured in the head or eyes. THREE Do not
shout "Radio Free Europe" during the quiet parts, because Mike Mills
hates that."  They started to play after that and Stipe was incredible
as usual.  All I can say is if they come anywhere near you, GO SEE
THEM.  A most incredible show that hasn't been tainted by their recent
popularity.  They played a lot of older stuff.