Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Jon Drukman's theories

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 89 00:26:46 EDT
Subject: Re: Jon Drukman's theories
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: juli@lafayette.dartmouth.edu (Julian West)
>
>Thanks to Jon Drukman for putting himself out on a limb with some theories
>about the new songs. I have some replies:
>
>> Love and Anger: well, i'd say this one is about love, on the one hand,
>> and gee, could it possibly be anger on the other?  Yeah.  No death here.
>
>I disagree, Jon. This could possibly be a "Teen Suicide: Don't Do It" song.
>Consider the lines "What would we do without you?" "You might not think
>so now ... someone will come to help you."

I don't really see much support of that theory.  The chorus, which
presumably contains the "kernel" of the song (as it is repeated a lot)
says: "Take away the love and the anger, and the little piece of rope
(hope) holding us together..." which says to me that to "let go of
these feelings" is the end of the relationship, because you gotta have
LOVE and ANGER to have a vital relationship.  Once the strong emotions
are gone (even if they are negative, such as anger), then you just
don't care about the other person anymore -- I had a litle chat like
this with my last girlfriend.  I said, "Even if you hate me, I don't
care, because it means you have a _strong_emotion_ for me." (OK, I'm a
bit of a drip, but I was in love, so show some respect, you clods!)

"It cuts so deep that you don't think that you can speak about it."
This says to me that we're back in Running Up That Hill land.
Communication is still a problem.  Open up!  Even if you have negative
feeligs, you must let them out!  (This is a recurring theme in KT
work, so I think I'm justified in presuming it here.)

"We're building a house of the future..."  And how can a house be
built on shaky (not completely open) foundations?  "Don't think that
you can't ever change the past and the future."  Explain how you were
feeling at the time!  TALK!

I read the "you might not think so now" lines in line with the comments
I have made above.  Don't be fooled by the appallingly happy and
oh-so-catchy music.  I think this song has much in common with RUTH...

>> The Fog: this is _plainly_ an outtake from "the Ninth Wave"
>
>I agree with you here.  Do you think it was really intended to fit into
>the _9th Wave_ sequence somewhere?

No, I'm being facetious again.  But there are so many musical, timbral,
and thematic links to so many songs from _The_Ninth_Wave_, that it's
hard to draw any other conclusion.  Again, the lyrics may disprove me,
but most of the ones that I am able to comprehend seem to be very similar
to Ninth Wave images/ideas.  Besides, if you sandwich it in either right
before or after "Watching You Without Me" it fits wonderfully!

>_Now_ will you guys believe she survives at the end of _The_Ninth_Wave_?

No.

>> Heads We're Dancing: This song remains a major puzzle to me.  If my
>> crazy theories regarding the lyrics are correct, then death could be a
>> major text here.  six million deaths, to be precise!
>
>I don't think you are crazy here either!  I really think the song is about
>the way Europe was seduced by Hitler in the '30s, and didn't know who
>it was dancing with until it woke up and smelled the coffee the morning after.
>Get your half-assed theory out in the open!  What's with using Ed Suranyi
>as a confidant?

Ed is a swell guy, and he admits that he has trouble interpreting
lyrics to pop songs.  I am an English major so I spend all day
interpreting words in strange manners.  Thus he is perfect fodder for
my fancy logistical footwork.  But I will try to stick to the advice
of my Practical Criticism instructor who said, "Play fair with the
text." Forthwith, here's The Drukman Text of "Heads We're Dancing":

But first, a note: I don't think it's an allegorical song, because
Kate usually is very literal minded when she tells a story.  Think of
"Cloudbusting" or "Houdini" where all the lyrics make perfect sense if
you happen to know exactly what she's talking about.  In fact, I can't
think of a single allegorical text in the KT oeuvre.  It may be late at
night however, and my memory might not be sharp as a razor...

Anyway, here's what I hear, without all the repetitions...
--------
You talked me into the game of chance
It was '39 before the music started
When you walked up to me and you said, "Hey, heads we'll dance."
Well, I didn't know who you were until I saw the morning paper
There was a picture of you across the front page
It looked just like you in every way

But it couldn't be true - just a damn stranger
They say that the devil is a charming man
And just like you I bet he can dance
When you coming up behind with his long tail ???

[ JSDNote (TM): This is _really_ concrete language for a supposedly
metaphorical song.  These events are so meticulate, and sequential,
that I can't see how we're supposed to take them as allegory.  Why the
hell can't it be a person dancing with someone who decides whether to
dance on the flip of a coin?  It sounds like a great way to meet
chicks, if you ask me, and I intend to try it out at the next
appropriate social event I'm at. ]

Oh tails in the air, but the penny landed heads we're dancing
Picture of you, in uniform
Standing there with your head held high
and ??? to the floor???
But it couldn't be you, it's a picture of Hitler

[ JSDNote (TM): This seems to me like the protagonist is sitting at
her breakfast table and she's looking through the paper, and she sees
that the guy who gave her a good tango last night just happens to be
the most evil man on the planet.  Kind of a shockeroo, eh? ]

We go doo doo doo doo doo, etc
Do you wanna dance?
Well I couldn't see you ??? so I just stood there laughing
[ repeat the 'picture of you' lines ]

OK, so here's what I read out of this tune: this guy hits on her at a
party and she goes along with it.  Next morning she finds out she just
had a whirl around the room with a terrifying butcher.  She has a
chuckle over this, snapping her fingers in a "well golly gee whiz"
attitude, and that's the end of story.  Sounds like the kind of thing
that Kate would make a song out of.  Remember the down-to-earthness of
"There Goes A Tenner." I think it is relevant.  Could this be possibly
based on an actual historical event?  Wouldn't surprise me if it were.

Well, enough late night ramblings.  Please folks, let's get onto this!
I'm sure we can puzzle it all out, even without the lyrics sheets.

--
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I like George Bush, but this 'kinder,  |