Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Great, great news!

From: unisoft!dan@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Buster)
Date: 9 Oct 89 03:14:36 GMT
Subject: Re: Great, great news!
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8910080023.AA09626@das.llnl.gov> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
>2)  Somebody earlier posted the review of the single from _Sounds_, but
>I haven't seen anybody post the review from the Sept. 23 issue of _New
>Musical Express_.  So I will.  First of all, it's one of two "Singles
>of the Week". Sounds good already, doesn't it?  Here's the review:
>
>       You would have to be a very miserable schmuck indeed not to
>concede that Kate Bush has made some exceptional disques.  "Running
>Up That Hill" springs to mind immediately -- as does her welcome fear
>of ever being seen in public once the album hits the Top Three.  Going
>about this business privately is something Guns N'Roses should
>consider.  Maybe then they could fashion something as charming as this.
>       There is always a Gestation Period between first hearing her new
>45 and pronouncing it to be another tablet of genius.  But "The Sensual
>World" feels good already -- and if the notion of the artiste slipping
>a line like, "I take a kiss of seedcake right from his mouth" isn't
>enough to make at least half her audience scramble for the Our Price,
>then what is?
>       A gentle curtain of cathedral bells call the listener in before
>Kate enters (and remains) at a very slight kilter.  She's relaxing
>(in an afterglow, mayhap) all the way, while an enchanting forest
>of oboes, clarinets and strings take at least half the kudos for
>the overall effect.
>       Like it now, love it tomorrow, and adore it in a few weeks.  This
>is _Betty Blue_ on vinyl.
>
>Could somebody explain the reference to "Our Price", please?

Our Price is a large (but not very good imho) record store chain in
the UK. I think the 'the' before Our Price shouldn't be there.

Dan (ucbvax!unisoft!dan, dan@root.co.uk)

PS (for love-hounds in the Bay Area).
I went into Reckless Records and Rough Trade on Haight in SF this
afternoon and they had both sold out of *the* single but they should
have more in later this week. (Oh to be in England :-)