Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Great, great news!

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 89 17:23:57 PDT
Subject: Great, great news!

1)  I've got such great news that I can hardly type.  I was just talking
to Mark Hamilton, one of the DJ's at KITS, and here's what he told me:
     A)  He was at some sort of listener's party at Rainbow Records in
S.F. last night, and a representative of CBS Records was there.  The video
for "The Sensual World" was shown, and "Love and Anger" was played.
(God-damn, why did I miss this?  The party had been announced on the air
beforehand; they just didn't say Kate was going to be played.)  The CBS
rep said that "Love and Anger" would be released as the first single
sometime *next week*!
     B)  The single moved up to #10 in this week's British charts.
     C)  He has the promo cassette, and thinks it's "incredible."
     D)  He had the _New Musical Express_ with Kate on the cover in front
of him as we were talking, and he called the interview "very interesting."
     Also, KITS currently has a contest to give away tickets to this
year's Annual Listener Appreciation Party.  Early every day, a song
is played and is announced to be that day's "Party Song".  For the rest
of that day, the first listeners who call in when the "Party Song" is
played get tickets.  Well (and I know you're all ahead of me now),
today's "Party Song" is "The Sensual World"!  Tonight is all-request
Saturday night, so I asked Mr. Hamilton if this contest continued
into that.  He said it did.  "What if nobody requests it?" I asked.
"I don't think you have to worry about that," he said.
     This station is really going all out for the single!  I mentioned
this to him, and he said, "Yeah, we all love it."

2)  Somebody earlier posted the review of the single from _Sounds_, but
I haven't seen anybody post the review from the Sept. 23 issue of _New
Musical Express_.  So I will.  First of all, it's one of two "Singles
of the Week". Sounds good already, doesn't it?  Here's the review:

       You would have to be a very miserable schmuck indeed not to
concede that Kate Bush has made some exceptional disques.  "Running
Up That Hill" springs to mind immediately -- as does her welcome fear
of ever being seen in public once the album hits the Top Three.  Going
about this business privately is something Guns N'Roses should
consider.  Maybe then they could fashion something as charming as this.
       There is always a Gestation Period between first hearing her new
45 and pronouncing it to be another tablet of genius.  But "The Sensual
World" feels good already -- and if the notion of the artiste slipping
a line like, "I take a kiss of seedcake right from his mouth" isn't
enough to make at least half her audience scramble for the Our Price,
then what is?
       A gentle curtain of cathedral bells call the listener in before
Kate enters (and remains) at a very slight kilter.  She's relaxing
(in an afterglow, mayhap) all the way, while an enchanting forest
of oboes, clarinets and strings take at least half the kudos for
the overall effect.
       Like it now, love it tomorrow, and adore it in a few weeks.  This
is _Betty Blue_ on vinyl.

Could somebody explain the reference to "Our Price", please?

There's also an ad for the single in this issue.

3)  More on Sarah McLachlan.

I just saw two more reviews of her album.  _Stereo Review_ didn't like
it, but -- they didn't compare her with Kate!  _Audio_ liked it a lot,
and they said, "She's been influenced by some rock greats:  Peter Gabriel,
Kate Bush, and Jane Siberry, to name just a few."

That's it for now, folks.

Ed (Edward Suranyi)
Dept. of Applied Science, UC Davis/Livermore
ed@das.llnl.gov
Until further notice, I CANNOT reply to mail by UUNET. So don't ask me to.