Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Freiheit, McLachlan, Ciani, The Enid

From: motcid!marble!meadley@uunet.UU.NET (A. Meadley)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 89 11:06:58 CDT
Subject: Freiheit, McLachlan, Ciani, The Enid

Can anyone give an objective (or even a subjective) description of
the German group, Freiheit, with special reference to their new
album "Fantasy"?

Also, the same info would be appreciated for Sarah McLachlan and her
album "Touch".

I have just bought the CD "Neverland" by Suzanne Ciani (on Private
Music) and it is excellent. I suppose it fits into a New Age category,
but it certainly lacks the monotony of much New Age music. The album
is almost totally Ms. Ciani on her own, playing piano and various
synthesizers. The music is extraordinarily beautiful and really has
to be heard to be appreciated. (Doesn't all good music? ) Haunting,
I think, would be a good description.

As many of you will have realised by now, I am extremely fond of the
English rock group The Enid.  I have just received (by post from the
UK) their CD "The Spell".  Almost classical on many of the tracks,
this is yet another wonderful piece of music. I hope you will excuse
my superlatives, but these two pieces are probably the best music I
have heard all year!!!  The Enid have managed to combine all the detail
and beauty of good classical music, with the dynamism and energy of
rock music, without drowning in the pretention that many other groups
have done.  The first four tracks on the CD are Winter, Spring, Summer
and Autumn and are musical interpretations of the seasons (used as an
allegory for life). These four are very classically inspired.  Next
is a song about the situation in many South American nations.  It has
quite a Latin-American feel to it.  The final track was written as a
tribute to a friend of The Enid who died.

Ant in Chicago
uunet!motcid!meadley