Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

from the Pgh "new kid" again

From: Francis Stanley Cwiklik <fc0h+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 89 00:49:46 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: from the Pgh "new kid" again

to Steve Williams--
don't worry...  I looked up "Gaffa"in the dictionary when I got The
Dreaming, and I am not at all interested in all the Nice to Swallow deal!

also, I apologize to anyone who may have been offended by my Zeppelin
and Cure remarks-- I probably should have included the fact that most of
the kids I went to high school with didn't know that any other groups
other the LZ and the Cure were worth listening to, let alone existed.  I
like the Cure myself, and, while I don't personally like LZ, I agree
that they are a group of the first caliber.  I didn't, however, mean to
trash these groups, as you put it-- only trying to get a rather
disturbing point across.  Sometimes, my sarcasm can be misinterpreted,
and I'll try to keep a lid on it.

to Steve Schonberger, who was kind enough to send me a letter (I'm
posting my reply here because it contains a couple of points that are
important to my own involvement with this newsgroup (not bboard-- sorry
'bout that one... you're right my background was showing!))...

I understand entirely your suggestion that I read the newsgroup for a
few weeks before posting anything.  Actually, I was so elated on finding
the Newsgroup that I read all the postings from as far as a week back!
No, this doesn't give me "expert membership status", but I did feel, at
the time, that I had enough of a grip on the group to send a letter
letting anyone out there know that another fan had jumped aboard.  I
don't intend on putting any really detailed postings up for a while, not
until I have gotten more of a look at the scheme of things  (in other
words, I'm not going in the deep end yet-- I'm not crazy!), but I would
like to become a regular contributor to the group in time.
My comment about the cover comes from a posting about the cover that I
have had no luck finding again...  if I discover it, I'll let you
know...  Anyway, it described the cover as featuring Kate dressed in
black (in a black and white photo) holding a rose which was tinted in
the photograph for the purposes of the album cover.  It just called up
memories of The Dreaming's cover, which had that striking tinting job.
As I said, probably not a brilliant observation, but, it popped up.
I haven't read News.announce.newusers, but when I joined internet, my
computer printed out a long, detailed section on general etiquette,
usage, etc. of the internet groups, so I have a pretty good working
knowledge of what goes on here (I'm not that vulgar a person anyway, and
I have never enjoyed being rude or inconsiderate to other people,
especially in public...  Generally, I'm a pretty mellow, mild-mannered
guy...  it's my art that gets really weird and bizarre!).
I have a copy of Vermorel's book, and while it is unmercifully thin, I
can't agree that it's rubbish.  It has little or nothing to do with Kate
herself, and feels more like a doctoral thesis than a book, but it is
interesting, has some good points to make (I think) about the nature of
pop stardom, and, while his comments on Kate are not always the kindest,
at least they are not downright vindictive (at least not as far as I can
tell).
I have seen a huge, 12'' square book called "Kate Bush"  which features
a year-by-year chronology of Kate's work (I didn't have the money at the
time, and when I went back the next day, with the appropriate amount,
which I begged my Dad to lend me, it was *gone*-- much gnawing and
gnashing of teeth ensued...).  This may be the Kate Bush Complete you
are referring to, but I don't know.  Whether it is or not, I really
appreciate the ISBN # and the Publishing address.
I didn't know at the time that all that info would be posted on my
letter (e.g "Andrew.cmu.edu") at the time I wrote it, and I figured that
all the biographical info would be a nice intro to me for everyone on
the newsgroup.  A little long and convoluted?  Yeah, now that I reread
what I wrote, I kinda wince as how naive and dopey it all reads (yeah, I
do sound like a Freshman, don't I?).  But, it came from the heart (most
of what I write does), and, subsequently, I can't regret any of it.
(except the Zeppelin/Cure bit... boy, was that a boo-boo)
I'd like to thank Steve and Steve (!) both for writing back to me.  It's
encouraging to see that my messages are being read and (hopefully)
enjoyed.  I'll probably write in again soon.  I'll definitely be reading
every day to keep in touch with what's going on, and to glean even more
info about Kate.

P.S.  All Pittsburgh KT fan-addicts!  AM 1510, X15, has been playing
cuts from TSW for about a week now!  Call in and thank 'em and ask for
more! I have!

take care all-- you're all special, specially to me--
			---frank