Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

More implorings...

From: Woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 89 22:05:44 EDT
Subject: More implorings...

Also to support the new album, I implore all college-type folks out there
to either

a) request the album ALOT on your local college station (who I hope should
be playing the album ALOT).

b) play the album ALOT on your local college station (if you are a DJ, like
me).

c) if you work for your college newspaper, write a review of the album
for the paper (also like I will do).

Of all them, radio is most important (obviously). However, the unobvious
thing about it is that college music (I prefer *alternative* myself) journals
do have a big impact on the major labels too. While indies practically live
because of college stations, the majors, until recently, didn't care. In the
recent years, because of such bands as REM, The Cure, The Replacements, etc.,
the major labels have realized that alternative music is a viable source of
income for them. While this is intrinsically bad for the indies and somewhat
off skew as far as I'm concerned, artists who do get contracts with the majors
*do* pay attention *very much* to college station playlists.

I imagine that Kate will get played alot anyways on college stations because
that has always been a bastion of strength for her, but a little prodding from
the fanatic masses never hurt.

woj --- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu